Fox Soccer Channel

bluesmith said:
Damocles said:
Their coverage last night was embarrassing at times with the amount of simple mistakes that they made.

They classed Bridge as a CB to replace the outgoing CB of Cunningham. In the opening teamsheet, they put Lescott at left back, and Viera in the attacking point of a diamond 4-4-2

Apparently, Guidetti was a "fine English talent", they couldn't pronounce Richards' name properly a few times, and kept calling Jo, "Jo Silva". Oh, and they said that Ireland was 'our talisman' last season.

Stupid, stupid people.

Jo's surname is silva

They are still wrong as his real name is João Alves de Assis Silva .

carrconormcfc said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Well its on SkySports and they use the american coverage and there team is of professionals has 2 Americans and 1 English guy

See we know to use the right people for the job
He said BBC coverage. Also there was no English channel covering the game yesterday so it'd be pretty hard for them to use our coverage.

Woah my man i was not being an ass about it, was just saying its Sky that cover it

Also that is true but as ESPN covering it i thought they use there commentators. Another thing i found out is that Americans actually hate the American commentators because they talk nonsense about SOCCER

american commentators are just ridiculous, they know nothing about football or the teams they are commenting on.

it was pissing me off how they kept saying "its suprising city arent doing much with all that money spent on new player"

like seriously, are they that fucking stupid? there was not a single new signing on the field, and we were using 4 academy players

Watched the game live on TV, having just got back from Tokyo, or I would have been there in person. So, as soon as I heard who the commentators were, I knew it was going to be dire. Never heard of the actual commentator (been here 15 years and watch EVERY English game on TV, regardless of who is playing), but knew the colour commentator, Paul Caligari. In fact I met him when I was drafted by the San Diego Sockers in '86. He used to play for the USA team. That said, he clearly is no commentator and BOTH clowns seemed to think their job was to talk over the game for 90 minutes!

As has been said, some of the BS they were saying was laughable, the rest, simply cringeworthy! About 15 minutes in, I turned down the "commentary" to Volume Level 1, just so I was not watching in silence and could hear the occasional City song in the (distant) background!

Were it this way every weekend, I would be embarrassed FOR us, but it isn't. When the games are on FSC normally, we get the English commentary, with the half time highlights and after match comments done by "locals." However, even during the World Cup, FSC had Andy gray and Warren Barton (FSC regular) doing the analysis, plus one ex-USA player and a British moderator.

Normally, FSC game coverage comes via LA and is a SKY feed with SKY commentary. Every night, we have the Fox Soccer Report (1 hour soccer news show) that is from Canada, but is better than the Yanks, as the analysis is done by a Scot who knows his football.

ESPN games are not as frequent as they are over in England, as I think we still have Setanta over here. However, the World Cup was ALL on ESPN and their mothership network, ABC, in HD, which was great, because in most places it is impossible to get FSC in HD. It is also about £5/month for FSC and £15 MORE for FSC PLUS, which carries extra games and other premium soccer/sporting events. I think Murdoch MAY have purchased some of the Setanta rights for FSC Plus, as they show things that used to be on Setanta.

Anyway, the US coverage of the game was shockingly bad. Agreed, but not the norm.

I can handle the different phrases and the perculiar pronounciations, however the constant education of the game that happened throughout was just so cringeworthy it got muted. The game itself was never analysed during replays, there was no talk of tactics or how each team was actually playing - it was just one continous round up of each players playing history that was read like it was scripted, it would have been bad if it was just that, but to top it all off it was often wrong!

The Lescott segment - a £3m buy from the Wolves of Wolverhampton made me laugh, they obviously got corrected as they then started talking about the £22m markup Everton made.

Just talk about the match in hand goddamit, stop trying to educate the viewers whilst the match is taking place!

I don't think I've ever heard an American football commentator who I could abide - so this isn't news Damo.

Part of the problem might be their lack of appreciation for the game, and the way their own sports, particularly the NFL are commented upon, and their reliance on statistics.

In their defense, as someone suggested, we'd probably make lousy commentators on baseball or American Football.

Fortunately during the regular season we always have Europeans commentating on the league matches, so we don't have to endure what we had at Portland and in NYC yesterday. Yes it's dire, but what are you going to do? At least we've got football to watch, and we're 'big news' for these foreign observers to talk about, as cringe-worthy as it is.

Ex-US international Paul Caliguiri was one of the commentators. Scored the goal that got them to the Italia 90 World Cup
They were both equally bad and really, really boring.
FSC could have flown me to NY and I would have done it for now't.
Mind you the swearing would have been pretty bad on air though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.