Francis Lee RIP

I've put a few thoughts down on today's funeral for Francis plus a selection of photos from his City career... Follow the link for the story and images (all free to read/see of course):

https://gjfootballarchive.com/2023/10/19/francis-lees-funeral/

As so many have said there are plenty of legends and star players that get forgotten or missed over the years. I guess it's down to all of us to ensure we remember them and highlight their lives and careers. Seeing Tony Book and Alan Oakes in particular at the Cathedral today shows what a wonderful heritage of players we have. These men were part of that wonderful era but both men dedicated so much more to the City cause and English football than perhaps the football world realises. The struggles of the 80s and late 90s really gave the world a different view of our club and our rivals were all too quick to play down the significance of men like Oakes and Book (and Young, Doyle, Pardoe.... etc.).

The fans of certain clubs and the management of those clubs have been quick to promote their own heroes and boast about their histories whereas we've tended to have a laugh and play down our achievements. Too often we focus on 'Typical City', 'Cups for cock Ups', our one and only 3rd tier season etc. instead of European glory in 1970; thrilling trophy-winning football under Mercer and Allison; the Trautmann years (and all those major moments for decades before that); and our title challenging, exciting team of the mid to late 1970s (remember we won more trophies than Utd in the 70s and were a major rival to LFC before Utd returned to be title challengers)... We need to sing loud and proud and boast of our heroes while they're still with us and when they're gone we need to keep on banging home the fact these men were incredible footballers.

Sadly, I think Neil Young was undervalued by the fans and the club even at the time. Why, I will never understand, but it's not unique. He was one of our own and came through from the youth teams. Maybe because we paid nothing for him he was taken for granted.

Anyway, that team that won the League in 1968 were awesome and I rejoice I am old enough to have seen them. And Francis H. Lee was the finishing touch that we needed to complete it.

RIP Frannie.
I've said it before on BM but I reckon it's worth saying again. We City fans of my generation have been truly blessed to have watched the teams of the Mercer years and the Pep era.

He absolutely should. So should record appearance holder Alan Oakes which is why I’d love to see a Hollywood Stars style walkway around the stadium so that every legendary figure can be remembered.
Brilliant idea that. Let’s face it, if we carry on with successes the same way we have the last 10 years or so, we will have more statues than Tussaud’s.

I've put a few thoughts down on today's funeral for Francis plus a selection of photos from his City career... Follow the link for the story and images (all free to read/see of course):

https://gjfootballarchive.com/2023/10/19/francis-lees-funeral/

As so many have said there are plenty of legends and star players that get forgotten or missed over the years. I guess it's down to all of us to ensure we remember them and highlight their lives and careers. Seeing Tony Book and Alan Oakes in particular at the Cathedral today shows what a wonderful heritage of players we have. These men were part of that wonderful era but both men dedicated so much more to the City cause and English football than perhaps the football world realises. The struggles of the 80s and late 90s really gave the world a different view of our club and our rivals were all too quick to play down the significance of men like Oakes and Book (and Young, Doyle, Pardoe.... etc.).

The fans of certain clubs and the management of those clubs have been quick to promote their own heroes and boast about their histories whereas we've tended to have a laugh and play down our achievements. Too often we focus on 'Typical City', 'Cups for cock Ups', our one and only 3rd tier season etc. instead of European glory in 1970; thrilling trophy-winning football under Mercer and Allison; the Trautmann years (and all those major moments for decades before that); and our title challenging, exciting team of the mid to late 1970s (remember we won more trophies than Utd in the 70s and were a major rival to LFC before Utd returned to be title challengers)... We need to sing loud and proud and boast of our heroes while they're still with us and when they're gone we need to keep on banging home the fact these men were incredible footballers.

Absolutely spot on mate. I've no idea why our glorious history is conveniently forgotten. Well maybe I do, it doesn't suit the agenda. Watching that wonderful side as a young kid growing up was truly magical. It had everything. If there was an internet and saturation coverage then,like there is today, it would still being talked about. It was that good. Leading that charge was the swashbuckling golden haired striker up front. Powerfully built with a rocket shot the hope and pulse rate raised significantly when he was on the ball, legs pumping and head down. It usually ended with the net bulging and his grin of delight saluting the crowd. What a player, what a man. Thanks for the memories Francis

There are days I still miss being in Manchester in the pissing rain and other days I really miss being in Manchester. Today at the Cathedral is one of the latter.
Hope that on Saturday someone goes on a charge into the Brighton penalty area, gets brought down (no dive, of course) and a burly blond lad smashes the penalty kick into the net.

One of the things that came across well at the cathedral today from Jonny’s eulogy was his dad’s sense of humour. Jonny revealed how Franny often told interviewers fake facts like how he could play the piano to classical concert standard and some of these jokes have made it into obituaries. Brilliant.I may need to review my own writing and see if I can spot any Franny windups!

Back in 1994 wasn’t Franny’s good mate Franz Beckenbaur going to be manager. We were also in for a young Louis Figo, he loved a wind up did Francis good rest his soul.

wonder what he made of the treble and seeing City crowned kings of Europe? RIP

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.