Francis Lee RIP

Second, his humour. He always had that twinkle in his eye and was clearly a very bright bloke.
Back in the 70's when following a game two opposition players were interviewed at the same time
We'd played West Ham away and Franny and Geoff Hurst had both scored a pen
At the end of the interview, the reporter asked " which way are you putting your next penalty?"
Geoff Hurst replied "depends on the keeper"
The microphone moved to Lee and he said "mind your own business "

RIP legend

To be fair to the BBC (I know, not words you type often) that goal, together with the commentary, is a truly iconic moment
It is, but the narrative was about him being a City player. They could easily have shown some of the other footage (like some blues have posted here) and then maybe finished with a sentence about his time at Derby (then showing the Derby goal).
It spoiled the tribute for me.

Rest in peace Franny.

Before my time but I'm well aware of what an important player he was for City and what a great servant he was, who cared deeply about the club, after he retired. Club legend in every sense of the term.

I was thinkiing of the Jeff Astle fiasco.
Astle came on as a late sub vs Brazil and proceeded to screw his shot wide from right in front of goal about 8 yards out with England 0-1 down. Franny started 3 of the 4 games in the tournament (Romania, Brazil and the QF defeat to West Germany) and did himself miss a very good chance to score in the Brazil game from a header when it was 0-0.

I remember calling at your house (when you had the little stanneylands stud) and getting a signed autograph.

RIP Franny……You did so much for this club, and will always be remembered as a City Legend.

CTID

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.