Fred(Signed for United)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it isn't as simple as that really. Watch the way Liverpool played against us at their place. It's the idea of fighting for second balls, or something very close to that.

If there's something I've learned from watching the PL, it is that it is very similar to the derivatives markets in that there's no "free lunch", there's no arbitrage because as soon as any hint of weakness is exposed in an area within a team, be it height or technical deficiency etc, it's pounced upon quickly and then targeted by the next opponent and the next and the next, so yes, what you may think is not effective may be very effective indeed.
Second balls aren't in the air though. Sure, winning the header on midfield helps, but winning the Second ball is even more important. Which is why targeting a short CM slash DM with long balls is a bot insane.

It might guarantee you win more headers, but it doesn't guarantee you more possession if we win the 3nd ball. Something we work hard on winning regardless of who wins the actual header.

Don't get me wrong, having Bogbrush, Matic and Pogba will give you an ariel advantage on lumped balls against Kante, Vidal and Fernandihno. But in the middle of the park, I'd bet Vidal, Kante and Dihno win more of the 2bd balls. Simply because they are harder workers.

The height advantage becomes an issue on set pieces. When you have to match heights. Generally you just match your talk guys with theirs. Sure we are a shorter team with Stones being the only tall ladder. And this is a legitimate issue. BTW another advantage of Maguire.

But in central midfield it really isn't that serious of an issue. Now if you have talent of equal quality sure being taller is a plus. But if the shorter player is the better player, you take him every time.

I find the idea that you can target a talented short player in midfield with high balls quite amusing.

This is neither an effective strategy nor a serious enough issue to give sincere considerations to.

You're right there

Personally I think we need to have the option to play with two DM - especially to start away games like Liverpool who overloaded on Fernandinho as often as they could.
You're not getting what Pep wants, he doesn't want defending, he wants is to have 80%+ possession, and believes if we do that, then we won't lose.

In fact 70% seems to be doing the trick for us anyway, we've only drawn 2 and lost 2, all season, from 36 games played, so I'd say its working.

Don't get me wrong, having Bogbrush, Matic and Pogba will give you an ariel advantage on lumped balls against Kante, Vidal and Fernandihno. But in the middle of the park, I'd bet Vidal, Kante and Dihno win more of the 2bd balls. Simply because they are harder workers.

Well yes, of course, it's the reason the Moaning one chooses to man-mark Hazard rather than overload on Kante and likewise Klopp chooses to overload on Fernandihno. It all depends on whether you have the personnel to execute your strategy. In Klopp's case, his forwards can press like mad dogs.

On the city channel on YouTube they have a welcome to city Fred goal montage have I missed something today ?

Just go to the city page on YouTube and there is a Fred welcome to Manchester City montage of goals from him will try and get link

Just go to the city page on YouTube and there is a Fred welcome to Manchester City montage of goals from him will try and get link

I haven't checked but id say with 100% confidence that will be a fan made video from another source and not on City's official Youtube page.

Ok don't think it's a new thing was posted 2 weeks ago phew thought I had missed an announcement !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.