Free article by Gary James correcting myths/errors

Gary can't still get my head around the fact that a noted academic such as you is on Blue Moon! Absolute quality!

Who'd have thought that a City team would have no history?? It's crazy that I'd never heard of the Ladies team from the late 80s. I was really interested in you recognising potential issues as an interviewer with certain interviewees. The fact that you overcame these speaks of your professionalism mate!

A couple of years ago I was on the same transatlantic flight as City Women but I was too shy to say hello. Oh well!

To be cheeky Gary can I ask 2 questions regarding our history?

Bert Trautmann and Lev Yashin were many years before my time but were they some of the earliest keepers to use long throws to get the ball in play? Yashin I think said there were only 2 world class keepers he himself and 'that German boy who played for Manchester City.' Always cuts me up that quote - not our most decorated or longest serving player but I think our very greatest!

The other question is about the links between City and Torino. Were these brought about by the 1949 Superga tragedy or perhaps related to the transfer of some Scottish guy there in 1963?

As I say Gary a really fascinating article. Good luck with your research
My copies of City fanzine Blue Print are in my friends garage back home so cant look it up, as @Gary James said the Torino link will have something to do with the 2nd team in the city.
Blue Print ran a series of features on 2nd teams (St Pauli, Espanyol, Munich 1860 etc) and of course Torino.
From what i recall a group of Blues went over and made a flag with both badges on and were made welcome and it went from there. If anyone has a copy of that Blue Print maybe they can give more detail

My latest article has been published on City in Sport in History. It's normally behind a paywall (not my choice) but I've managed to organise for it to be free to read/download until October 1st via this link: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/17460263.2020.1818613

The article is published in an academic journal and I know it may not appeal to everyone but it's really important that journal's like Sport in History publish articles that correct mistakes and myths. These journals become the accepted record as time goes by with articles properly peer reviewed. It takes a lot to get published in some journals and so, whenever I do I'm immensely proud. I'm also always keen for these articles to be read/downloaded as much as possible.

I would really appreciate it if every Blue could take a look at the article. Skim through it if you like; jump to the findings or conclusion. Some of you may think 'well, I'm not bothered about the women's team' or similar, but if you read through it/parts of it you'll see that the history of the women's team has been ignored by some rivals & the media in the past - this may be deliberate of course - and that is similar to what many of us say about the men's team too. So, if one part of the club has its history ignored by rivals and the media then it adds weight to the ideas concerning the men's team and the club in general.

Anyway, have a read and see what you think. The more reads/downloads the article gets then the greater the chance of the journal and others like it publishing other articles with similar themes.

Thanks.
Excellent, informative read.. well done. Just need similar for the men's team to be posted to every media and tv hack guilty of misinformation over the past 12 years or so (..oh wait, that would either result in the loss of thousands of innocent trees or else breaking the internet for a couple of days.. perhaps not, then?!)

My copies of City fanzine Blue Print are in my friends garage back home so cant look it up, as @Gary James said the Torino link will have something to do with the 2nd team in the city.
Blue Print ran a series of features on 2nd teams (St Pauli, Espanyol, Munich 1860 etc) and of course Torino.
From what i recall a group of Blues went over and made a flag with both badges on and were made welcome and it went from there. If anyone has a copy of that Blue Print maybe they can give more detail

I'll have it somewhere. I remember the piece well. It was a good series too.

Excellent, informative read.. well done. Just need similar for the men's team to be posted to every media and tv hack guilty of misinformation over the past 12 years or so (..oh wait, that would either result in the loss of thousands of innocent trees or else breaking the internet for a couple of days.. perhaps not, then?!)

It'd be 'City's fault' for destroying the planet of course.

It'd be 'City's fault' for destroying the planet of course.
Yup, it would be all our fault, as per.. I can see in my mind's eye a breathless Dan Roan standing over the road from the ground, picking at his finger nails as he blubs to an incredulous Clive Myrie back in the news studio that 'this time City really have gone too far and surely it's time for UEFA/FIFA/the Premier League to act..?'

Great,informative read Gary. I was aware of the ladies team back then; as my sister in law played Right Back for Oldham Athletic (She also played at Wembley for Latics in 90s).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.