Frenkie de Jong

IF the club gets a suitable REPLACEMENT in
This is the key bit. Im not arguing about the rest of it...but to let him go without this would be a huge mistake. Gundo and KDB are brilliant but both are older and could suffer fatigue injuries or drops in form (less likely on the second bit). Mahrez hugely inconsistent and Grealish lets say still finding his way.

We saw the mistake the club made with letting Zinch go before we had a replacement. We cannot make a mistake like that again in this scenario...

Hence what Im saying and regardless of our willingness to let players go when they want without argument (though I also think this always puts us in a weaker negotiating position when getting fees but I also recognise the positives of this stance) we have to stand firm if we Barca (or PSG - less likely) try to come in with a very late, end of the day offer which wouldnt give us time to get a replacement in. In that scenario, we have to say to the player, "sorry but its now too late despite what we have promised you.....".....the squad strength has to come first.

Secondly (opinion only) - we wont get anyone with equal quality and therefore it weakens the squad longer term.....we will have to replace Gundo, KDB and Mahrez (not such an issue for me) probably within 18 months.....People are presuming we will get Bellingham....is he the right player? - no idea really but the scousers will also be in for him big time as they also need to update their midfield.

Thirdly - the fee - letting him go for anything less than 80m would be criminal and dealing with Barca the money has to be upfront...no helping them out despite our relationship with them (which isnt a relationship as its totally one sided).....No deal should include FDJ - he is an inferior player who hasnt done well at Barca and is overrated...plus we dont need his skill set ...we need a player with a similar skill set to Bernardo, one how is great in the tight spaces and with the ball at his feet....Where/who is that player...no idea...but it aint FDJ (and im not saying he isnt a good player)

This is the key bit. Im not arguing about the rest of it...but to let him go without this would be a huge mistake. Gundo and KDB are brilliant but both are older and could suffer fatigue injuries or drops in form (less likely on the second bit). Mahrez hugely inconsistent and Grealish lets say still finding his way.

We saw the mistake the club made with letting Zinch go before we had a replacement. We cannot make a mistake like that again in this scenario...

Hence what Im saying and regardless of our willingness to let players go when they want without argument (though I also think this always puts us in a weaker negotiating position when getting fees but I also recognise the positives of this stance) we have to stand firm if we Barca (or PSG - less likely) try to come in with a very late, end of the day offer which wouldnt give us time to get a replacement in. In that scenario, we have to say to the player, "sorry but its now too late despite what we have promised you.....".....the squad strength has to come first.

Secondly (opinion only) - we wont get anyone with equal quality and therefore it weakens the squad longer term.....we will have to replace Gundo, KDB and Mahrez (not such an issue for me) probably within 18 months.....People are presuming we will get Bellingham....is he the right player? - no idea really but the scousers will also be in for him big time as they also need to update their midfield.

Thirdly - the fee - letting him go for anything less than 80m would be criminal and dealing with Barca the money has to be upfront...no helping them out despite our relationship with them (which isnt a relationship as its totally one sided).....No deal should include FDJ - he is an inferior player who hasnt done well at Barca and is overrated...plus we dont need his skill set ...we need a player with a similar skill set to Bernardo, one how is great in the tight spaces and with the ball at his feet....Where/who is that player...no idea...but it aint FDJ (and im not saying he isnt a good player)
"Thirdly - the fee - letting him go for anything less than 80m would be criminal"

Maybe him staying here for the last two seasons and giving us everything , the club and his agent have agreed on a deal that would suit everyone.

He clearly wants to go, so the only option is to get the deal done for the good of all.

Another point, Barca had 80k attendance yesterday and as I have said before, they are not skint, they will be generating huge incomes this season.

The only thing to worry us is getting in a replacement, maybe we have already done that in Grealish, but we still need another top class player in if the deal for Bernardo is done.

We are never going to get a direct replacement, Bernardo has a unique skill set combined with incredible work ethic/team player , almost unique.

If he goes to Barca they are one lucky fucking club and I hope they look after him well.

The problem with this thread is that half the posters are still living in denial about the fact Bernardo Silva is probably leaving and cannot get their head around that this is not a debate about Bernardo vs. FDJ, it's about FDJ vs. some other last minute midfield replacement for Bernardo.

I'm still in the denial phase.

But if he was to leave (which he's not because I said so) then de Jong would definitely be my first choice as a replacement.

Do you reckon there's a chance that would happen though?

I'm still in the denial phase.

But if he was to leave (which he's not because I said so) then de Jong would definitely be my first choice as a replacement.

Do you reckon there's a chance that would happen though?
We were VERY interested in FDJ & to be honest I see him more as a Gundog replacement than a Bernardo one. However, Gundog is cracking on a bit, can't play every game & as with Fernandinho/Rodri, Silva/Silva, perhaps a Gundog replacement will probably need a season or two as an understudy/competition/cover before a 32/33 year old Gundog moves on.

We know Foden will probably end up playing centrally, but I never thought about Grealish also playing centrally to replace Bernardo until it was mooted last week. This solution makes more & more sense the more I think about it.

This would free up space on the wings, & I'd love Felix & Nkunku to be seriously considered as candidates...

I would take Felix over de Jong if push comes to shove and again that would be more next summer rather than the next two weeks. I still geninuely think Barcelona cannot afford him this time around despite the bullshit leaks in the media.

The annoyance about this deal is that not only will he strengthen a side in our division, but it will also weaken us as we will then lose Bernardo.

The club must have a good reason for not wanting him because De Jong seems to tick all the boxes for us. The fact we previously wanted him also suggests that he could adapt to Pep’s style.

The added bonus of stopping him from going to another PL team and lessening the blow of losing Bernardo makes this almost a perfect deal to make.

However, the club obviously have other ideas. I just hope we don’t go for some shitty last minute cheap replacement who is nowhere near Bernie’s level.

In an ideal world, De Jong stays at Barca and we keep Bernie. However, it is looking like De Jong will end up in the PL and we will lose Bernie.

gaughan was briefed that city would let bernie leave for a big fee (80m+) and a replacement in place

2 weeks left - at least there isn't much time left . Everyday there are new stories in the Spanish press

The annoyance about this deal is that not only will he strengthen a side in our division, but it will also weaken us as we will then lose Bernardo.

The club must have a good reason for not wanting him because De Jong seems to tick all the boxes for us. The fact we previously wanted him also suggests that he could adapt to Pep’s style.

The added bonus of stopping him from going to another PL team and lessening the blow of losing Bernardo makes this almost a perfect deal to make.

However, the club obviously have other ideas. I just hope we don’t go for some shitty last minute cheap replacement who is nowhere near Bernie’s level.

In an ideal world, De Jong stays at Barca and we keep Bernie. However, it is looking like De Jong will end up in the PL and we will lose Bernie.

I don’t think he wants to leave Barcelona at all mate, and if he is forced to - it seems like he doesn’t want to live in Manchester.

And there’s simply no point replacing a great player who is leaving because he doesn’t like the City with another one who will likely give us exactly the same problem in a year or two.

We all heard Pep’s comments on Friday that they like to sign players who really want to join the Club - we’ve seen the Club walk away from players who aren’t that bothered who they play for many times over the years.

I’d we’re having to work too hard to convince the player we’re the right Club for him - I’d imagine we’d conclude he probably isn’t the right character for us.

He’s a player who makes all the logical sense in the world on paper - but in reality clearly something isn’t right.

That’s my interpretation, anyway.

What if we get the replacement in and Barca renege? As we’ve seen this summer, it’s not below them. It’s not a bad idea anyway, getting the replacement in before Bernardo leaves, even if it’s next summer but then, I don’t know what the situation is with money for wages and transfer fees. But if any action we take depends on Barca following through on a promise, we shouldn’t do it.
So what? The squad is short anyway.

I don’t think he wants to leave Barcelona at all mate, and if he is forced to - it seems like he doesn’t want to live in Manchester.

And there’s simply no point replacing a great player who is leaving because he doesn’t like the City with another one who will likely give us exactly the same problem in a year or two.

We all heard Pep’s comments on Friday that they like to sign players who really want to join the Club - we’ve seen the Club walk away from players who aren’t that bothered who they play for many times over the years.

I’d we’re having to work too hard to convince the player we’re the right Club for him - I’d imagine we’d conclude he probably isn’t the right character for us.

He’s a player who makes all the logical sense in the world on paper - but in reality clearly something isn’t right.

That’s my interpretation, anyway.
Spot on that - great post

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.