From Francis, Tueart and Hutchison to Chris Jones, Bodak and Terry Park 81-83

As much as we can all justifiably point to the madness of the late 70s, the general bewilderment that still surrounds the reckless spending of the Allison era, seems to have diluted any form of rational debate or genuine anger towards the equally baffling decisions to release Steve Mackenzie, Roger Palmer and Dave Bennett for relatively small transfer fees.

John Bond was extremely critical of Clive Wilson in his 81-82 end-of-season review, and Wilson virtually disappeared until 84-85 (as did Paul Simpson)

In the short term nobody was too concerned, but there was definitely a point where the team seemed to age overnight, and with hindsight, it was fairly obvious after selling Trevor Francis that we were skint.

The problem with 82-83 was that the good start camouflaged our lack of quality. The results started to change, and the team was toothless, shapeless, and spineless.

Last edited:
As much as we can all justifiably point to the madness of the late 70s, the general bewilderment that still surrounds the reckless spending of the Allison era, seems to have diluted any form of rational debate or genuine anger towards the equally baffling decisions to release Steve Mackenzie, Roger Palmer and Dave Bennett for relatively small transfer fees.

John Bond was extremely critical of Clive Wilson in his 81-82 end-of-season review, and Wilson virtually disappeared until 84-85 (as did Paul Simpson)

In the short term nobody was too concerned, but there was definitely a point where the team seemed to age overnight, and with hindsight, it was fairly obvious after selling Trevor Francis that we were skint.

The problem with 82-83 was that the good start camouflaged our lack of quality.
Joe Royle built his entire managerial career at Oldham on picking up bargain City players that the increasingly clueless Bond and his successors jettisoned. Donachie, Clements, Palmer, Barrett, Warhust etc

Whatever deficiencies there were in that squad, we should never have been relegated in 1982/83. Not just because of where we were in the league with just over a third of the season left, but also because that group of players should simply have never been relegated.

Ball is often touted as our worst manager, but for me, John Benson wins hands down; and had we stayed up in 1983, things could have taken a different turn in the years that followed it; although I’m certainly not complaining now!

I went to most home games in that era with my Dad. I was 11-13 and City daft. I was young and naive but after the cup final defeat I genuinely expected us to win the league in 81-82.

This was the era that the financial stupidity of the previous few years really came home to roost. Didn't we spend hundreds of thousands on a new Main Stand roof to house corporate boxes (on that structure which hung off it) but ran out of money and never built the boxes, thereby renderering the new roof a waste of time and money?
Remember a picture in a City programme from around that time of how a future Maine Road was 'supposedly' going to look.
The Kippax was going to have a roof similair to the new one on the Main Stand and the Platt Lane would end of looking like the North Stand , thus giving a bit of a 'symmetrical (?)' look.
Things turned out rather differently and a lot less impressively than hoped as we all know...a bit like pretty much everything to do with the club at the time!!

Remember a picture in a City programme from around that time of how a future Maine Road was 'supposedly' going to look.
The Kippax was going to have a roof similair to the new one on the Main Stand and the Platt Lane would end of looking like the North Stand , thus giving a bit of a 'symmetrical (?)' look.
Things turned out rather differently and a lot less impressively than hoped as we all know...a bit like pretty much everything to do with the club at the time!!
I remember the picture too. It is definitely reporoduced in one of @Gary James books, presumably the brilliant Farewell To Maine Road.

Whatever deficiencies there were in that squad, we should never have been relegated in 1982/83. Not just because of where we were in the league with just over a third of the season left, but also because that group of players should simply have never been relegated.

Ball is often touted as our worst manager, but for me, John Benson wins hands down; and had we stayed up in 1983, things could have taken a different turn in the years that followed it; although I’m certainly not complaining now!
John Benson really was the 'rabbit in the headlights' wasn't he. Totally out of his depth. Seemed a decent guy, but no way a top flight manager.
Started that season okay, top after 3 games (after that game when Bobby Mcdonald went in goal v Watford) think we were even 2nd in Nov or Dec?
Went spectacularly 'tits up' when Bond resigned as we developed a real Appetite for Destruction and became so shit so quickly.
Frustratingly, in true City style we did win a few matches in April/ May (we got a very decent draw at Champions elect Everton too!) but then we know what happened don't we!! That fateful Luton match was 2 days to the day after the Cup Final Replay when many blues, myself included really thought we were 'on the up again.

John Benson really was the 'rabbit in the headlights' wasn't he. Totally out of his depth. Seemed a decent guy, but no way a top flight manager.
Started that season okay, top after 3 games (after that game when Bobby Mcdonald went in goal v Watford) think we were even 2nd in Nov or Dec?
Went spectacularly 'tits up' when Bond resigned as we developed a real Appetite for Destruction and became so shit so quickly.
Frustratingly, in true City style we did win a few matches in April/ May (we got a very decent draw at Champions elect Everton too!) but then we know what happened don't we!! That fateful Luton match was 2 days to the day after the Cup Final Replay when many blues, myself included really thought we were 'on the up again.
Got my seasons muddled up there. We drew at Goodison in 87 the next time we went down (and they won the league) Trying to be clever shoehorning in an album( that came out in 1987!)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.