Full backs / Wing Backs

How many chances has Pep had to buy a traditional left back though and not done, he’s even changed Walkers game from a traditional right back to an inverted one. Yes Chilwell and Robertson are better left back than ours in their team, doesn’t mean they could play in our team in the way Pep wants them to. Not saying we won’t buy a left back, but if we do we will change his game. Theres a reason he moved Cancelo from the right to the left, and it isn’t just because he had to.

Did you miss the summer where we spent 3 months trying to sign Cucurella for 60m?

Theres a few full backs in serie a who look very good. one in particular would be Di Marco at Inter hopefully City are looking at him hes quality

Sorry but his mistake against Liverpool has nothing to do with being overplayed. That was basic defending and he messed up. I think for the pen on Saturday Ake certainly should have been in a better position to deal with it.

I like Cancelo but the defensive side of his game is up for debate. I personally feel we need to invest in the full back area. I’d also like to see Cancelo given a proper run at right back.

It's about the football brain and not being a natural left back that his weakness, other teams have found us out down the left and better managers/teams/players will work on it, also, It's when teams park the bus and 10 men behind the ball you need a left-footed player to make a cross first time and not cut back, so your forwards can make the run,

a proper world-class left back should be signed if available ? Stop messing around with covers

Did you miss where I said we may well buy a left back, but don't expect his game to not to be changed, same as Walkers has.

Cancelo is a world-class player and like everybody else makes mistakes, that's not the point or problem
it's the need for a left-footed fullback that balances the team, so the forwards can read and time their runs,

if somehow we find a world-class left back, then Cancelo could play in the midfield or rotate Walker at right back.

Did you miss where I said we may well buy a left back, but don't expect his game to not to be changed, same as Walkers has.

tbh I didn't bother reading past this bit because it was such obvious fiction I knew the rest of the post would be too.

How many chances has Pep had to buy a traditional left back though and not done

He spent £52m on Mendy, and spent all summer chasing Cucurella, made sure we bought an attacking left footed LB in Gomez when Cucurella fell through, and is trying to bring through Wilson-Esbrand.

The man is desperate for a natural LB.

Cancelo is a world-class player and like everybody else makes mistakes, that's not the point or problem
it's the need for a left-footed fullback that balances the team, so the forwards can read and time their runs,

if somehow we find a world-class left back, then Cancelo could play in the midfield or rotate Walker at right back.
I don't think we see Cancelo as anything other than a fullback capoable of playing either side, we will buy a full back at some point I just don't think we'll play with a fullback that stays wide and overlaps. Walker used to be that sort but apart from the odd overlpping charge is more likely to be found tucked into midfield than overlapping, same as Cancelo on the left. I think it's notable that when Pep praised Rico Lewis he mainly praised his intelligence and the ability to understand his instructions first time, maybe why he seems to have jumped ahead of JWE.
As I say we could well buy a full back but unless we think they have an game thats adaptable a full back that looks good in another team in a traditional role won't necesarrily be a good fit for what we want from a full back.

We've scored 137 league goals since the start of last season, and we've conceded fewer chances than any team in England (or Europe?).

We are doing greatly with Cancelo at LB, both offensively and defensively.

A bigger problem now is Walker who is getting injury prone. If a top RB is available, we may well try to sign him. Had Walker been available in both games vs Real, or at least for 90 minutes in Madrid, we'd have been in the CL final for a second season in a row.

We've scored 137 league goals since the start of last season, and we've conceded fewer chances than any team in England (or Europe?).

We are doing greatly with Cancelo at LB, both offensively and defensively.

A bigger problem now is Walker who is getting injury prone. If a top RB is available, we may well try to sign him. Had Walker been available in both games vs Real, or at least for 90 minutes in Madrid, we'd have been in the CL final for a second season in a row.

I just think in the bigger games and in Champions League big games you can not have a weakness of a left fullback without a left foot because of the talent they have

Theres a few full backs in serie a who look very good. one in particular would be Di Marco at Inter hopefully City are looking at him hes quality
Aaron Hickey at Brentford is the one I'd be looking at, homegrown as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.