Full Backs?

In the first episode of the Amazon doc it was said that we require big fullbacks. I believe this is true and Pep has adjusted to the PL. When we bought Walker I was thinking why because he's not a typical Pep fullback, but it's clear now. He's the type of fullback that is used more defensively. You can say Walker isn't great defensively, but his job is to use his pace when opposition counter. Even if it's just to allow our defence to get back into shape. Also his height is used because when PL teams attack they do so with high crosses.

I believe in LC final against Chelsea Pep said he brought in Danilo because he needed height. So he does think defensively and realized how teams attack. Last season in the LC semi against Bristol City we conceded 2 late goals where they put in high crosses which Zinchenko couldn't deal with. This is why I believe we won't go for a small fullback unless he's exceptional.

I think Chilwell would actually be good if he can do a similar job to Walker on the left. Can't say I've seen enough of Tiereny to comment) Chilwell seems good in the air and has enough pace and defensive abilities. It's clear Delph can't deal with those situations. Not only against Swansea, but last season he couldn't deal with long balls across the pitch to his side. The United game comes to mind when he whiffed and let Rashford score. We will get targeted by opposition as our weak point.

Pep also likes the attacking fullback that's why we wanted Dani Alvez. It's almost like an extra midfielder who can help break the press and also aide in attack. This is currently Zinchenko to a lesser extent. However you need balance in the team. So while Zinch attacks, Walker is there to prevent counters. So if we had a rightback who was more attacking or just need defensive stability like when we play Liverpool I'd go with Chilwell. It also depends on who the opposition is as well. So if say we play against Burnley we may go with Chilwell instead of Zinchenko.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/p...tic-tactical-analysis-statistics-scout-report

Alaba could be available. Pep knows how to use him surely.
Hasn’t he gone downhill past 2 years? Bayern hate us, won’t be easy to deal with. I know we don’t need a RB but I’d prefer Kimmich to Alaba (as a full back who could comfortably play in midfield). Depends on how Pep views Danilo and Mendy though.

Hasn’t he gone downhill past 2 years? Bayern hate us, won’t be easy to deal with. I know we don’t need a RB but I’d prefer Kimmich to Alaba (as a full back who could comfortably play in midfield). Depends on how Pep views Danilo and Mendy though.
Alaba is a genuine midfielder converted into a fullback by LVG.

But he has visibly declined after series of knee injuries, no wonder Bayern are signing a replacement. I would say his slump had started under Pep 4 years ago.

I’ll be gutted if Wan Bissaka ends up at United. He’s a beast and having him and walker would make is extremely strong down the right. I think he will be like Robertson and very quickly improve to be top class.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.