Funny stats to upset United fans

He’s a long way to go, IMHO, before his record is besmirched. He’s light years ahead of anyone in terms of managerial achievements.
Yet if you look at the manager rankings on Club Elo he doesn't figure. Elo ratings are a standard way of assessing strength in various competitive activities (Chess, Bridge, Tennis, etc) including football.

These are based on comparatives against the teams played, so Sheffield United beating us last weekend would have gained more points than we did by beating them.

The fact he, or the 1999 team don't figure suggests they were so superior to most of those they played that they simply didn't earn that many Elo points. That could be because he was a far superior manager but more likely reflects their level of spending.

The fact he, or the 1999 team don't figure suggests they were so superior to most of those they played that they simply didn't earn that many Elo points. That could be because he was a far superior manager but more likely reflects their level of spending.

They won the league with 79 pts. That explains their elo points.

Yet if you look at the manager rankings on Club Elo he doesn't figure. Elo ratings are a standard way of assessing strength in various competitive activities (Chess, Bridge, Tennis, etc) including football.

These are based on comparatives against the teams played, so Sheffield United beating us last weekend would have gained more points than we did by beating them.

Club Elo? Never heard of it (and would wager 99% of fans haven’t either).
I’m always slightly wary of such algorithms- and it would be interesting to see where it ranks teams / managers / players who played in the pre-European Cup era.
I can only go off my own thoughts, instinct and games I’ve seen.
Where does Clough rank on its system, a man that took a team from Div 2 to European Champions.
Ferguson spent shedloads, absolutely. He also won, sadly, shedloads. And he did it North of the border too, where the Old Firm won /,win virtually everything.
By the way, is Alan Ball on Club Elo?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.