Further To The Coffee Thread

I've had an aeropress for a few months now and find it makes very good coffee.
Weighing the coffee is very important and using the inverting method makes a good brew.

I've just bought my son one to take to Uni with him. MMU on Oxford Road.

Used to be the Polytechnic when I was at Uni....

orangupingu_mcfc said:
I use an Aeropress, the whole thing costs about £20.

If you want frothy milk then I use a milk frothing jug: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-1446-Latteo-Milk-Frother/dp/B000BZ6BXE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bodum-1446-Latt ... B000BZ6BXE</a>.

I use cheapo stong coffee - I think it's about £4 for two bags as it's always on offer in Morrisons. It is trial and error to judge how much coffee you need, but I think it tastes better than cafetiere coffee. You also get a nice crema if you do it properly, although obviously not as much as you would with an espresso machine.

Here's where I first found out about the Aeropress: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-%26-Espresso-Maker.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/Aerob ... Maker.html</a>

This post made me happy that I don't drink Coffee. Way too much fucking effort for a drink.

Alan88

It is worth the effort, when you get it just right.

The aeropress is also very easy to clean.

italians who know what they are doing with a professional pump > costa > nero > any other professional pump > home pump > 'dolce gusto' or whatever = aeropress = stove pot > cafetiere (lavezza gold is worth it IMO) > mcdonalds > starbucks instant > nescafe instant espresso > starbucks takeaway (generally very not good in my experience) > gold blend > ordinary instant

And cheers again everyone.

That Aeropress thingy looks decent orangupingu; have you ever come across one of those before Pride In Battle? What did you make of it? Nice endorsement by cooperman there too!

strongbowholic said:
And cheers again everyone.

That Aeropress thingy looks decent orangupingu; have you ever come across one of those before Pride In Battle? What did you make of it? Nice endorsement by cooperman there too!

Never used one, looks interesting! Guess it uses the same principle of an espresso machine with the high pressure. They're only £25 so no big loss if it's not great. Can't beat a great shot of espresso, and in my experience no-one does it as well as the Spanish.

Just in case anyone is interested...

Ordered one of those Aeropress coffee makers from cream.supplies.co.uk on Thursday evening for the princely sum of £23.98 (inc p&p). Surprised to find it arrived in the post this morning and couldn't wait to give it a go.

Well worth it.

Easy to use and a lovely drop of espresso using Lavazza Espresso. Obviously not quite as good as a stove top, but very good nonetheless; will be a doddle in the office!

Mightily impressed so thanks to orangupingu for the top tip.

There is a technique to cafetierre coffee, but you have to use a rougher grind than Lavazza Espresso, you can still get a good, strong cup of coffee from it, i just find it's a bit less consistent than a stove top (and isn't as strong).

The most common mistake is to use boiling water, which is a disaster, burns the coffee and makes it bitter. The water has to be at the right temperature, i can;t tell you what it is, it's a trial and error/instinct thing. Pour a small amount of water onto the coffee grounds, stir and let it steep for a while (10 seconds maybe). If you have good quality, fresh coffee that'll produce a nice thick creamy foam layer that you don't get from a stove-top. Then you pour the rest of the water in slowly and let it brew for about 4 minutes. I also find a lot of people are too stingy with the amount of coffee they put in, the packets say a spoonful per person or something, i go for 2 spoons per person. Once coffee is brewed you can always dilute it, but you can't make it stronger.

I used to make that mistake with the boiling water, I must admit. I've had another cup out of that Aeropress - bloody lovely! Will be back to the stove top later though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.