Gambling firms back live sports advertising ban

I think its so ingrained now that they've just realised they don't need to spend any more money advertising.

Its probably in their interest to let the government have this as a "win" rather than fighting it and potentially ending up with some actual regulation change. No TV adverts doesn't mean they wont get advertised during the games anyway - majority of teams are sponsored by bookies and the hoardings around the pitch are dominated by them.

Poor old Ray will have to start making some more gangster based dramas to buy his jellied eels then. I think it is a good idea, the constant gambling adverts do my head in. It must be worse for those recovering from gambling addiction to or those trying to wind their necks in at the bookies.

It's the way gambling and sport has been normalised that infuriates me. Even the straplines try and emphasise it, to imply that watching sport without gambling on it is unusual. Now with something like horse racing, that's self-evidently true, but not for most others. An entire generation is growing up assuming that sports gambling is the entire raison d'etre for for sport in the first place, and that's a problem.

I think its so ingrained now that they've just realised they don't need to spend any more money advertising.

Its probably in their interest to let the government have this as a "win" rather than fighting it and potentially ending up with some actual regulation change. No TV adverts doesn't mean they wont get advertised during the games anyway - majority of teams are sponsored by bookies and the hoardings around the pitch are dominated by them.

Yes, I suspect that's partly true. And the sheer volume of them means that they're fighting over every punter at huge cost they don't want to spend. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

It's the way gambling and sport has been normalised that infuriates me. Even the straplines try and emphasise it, to imply that watching sport without gambling on it is unusual. Now with something like horse racing, that's self-evidently true, but not for most others. An entire generation is growing up assuming that sports gambling is the entire raison d'etre for for sport in the first place, and that's a problem.
Well said, i get what you mean with the ads of virile young beautiful people laughing and smiling seemingly due to their fun life of gambling. This attempt to make it cool and in vogue piss me right off to.

I think it is disgusting to they give young players "incentives" to gamble. Betting firms should be banned from approaching sportsmen with the hope of inducing a gambling culture into their lives. I can well imagine an ex gambling addict to see that as no different to pushing drugs to kids.

They should be banned from sponsoring sports teams as well, there's a clear conflict of interest there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.