Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

I have been worried at the lack of martins which are normally abundant here. Then today a whole flock arrived at the back of the house to nest under the eaves. Leaning out the window, I was surrounded.
Meanwhile, where are the moths, butterflies and insects? We have a garden full of roses and normally have to battle the greenfly. Not a single one this year. Baffling. Important to me as I can’t get out and about now, so the garden is my only source of wildlife.

I have been worried at the lack of martins which are normally abundant here. Then today a whole flock arrived at the back of the house to nest under the eaves. Leaning out the window, I was surrounded.
Meanwhile, where are the moths, butterflies and insects? We have a garden full of roses and normally have to battle the greenfly. Not a single one this year. Baffling. Important to me as I can’t get out and about now, so the garden is my only source of wildlife.
You have given me hope KS55, very near to me is a street where dozens of house martins have nested for years, none this year, hopefully it is a late migration, and i can see these beautiful birds again.

I got into watching the birds in my garden during lockdown. Surprised me the variation and i became an enthusiastic feeder. Then two years ago next door bought 2 cats and new neighbours on the other side brought a cat with them. Apart from the odd blackbird it’s now a bird free zone. Would never harm the cats when they cross my garden but is there anything I can do to get the birds back - no pun intended

I raised this very same issue in my "where have all the Insects gone?" thread.
If you find it baffling ..I dare say you may find explanations for the dearth in our insect population ...Once the Insects go,or are fried to death,next ..it's the birds.
Quite worrying really.

I have tried allsorts to attract wild birds into the garden, seems all i can get are big fat Pigeons.

Got woken up at 4.30 this morning by some Big Horned owls, I could see them lined up on the telegraph poles, they were doing a raid on the Robins who are nested up all over the place, lots of squawking. Walked out the house this morning and there was an Oriole on the hummingbird feeder

I have tried allsorts to attract wild birds into the garden, seems all i can get are big fat Pigeons.
They are a total nuisance. Songbirds seem to avoid them. They hoover up all the nuts etc on our bird feeders. I have threatened to eat them, but they take no notice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.