Garden Birds and wild birds thread.

No photo's but I've had a couple of Western Tanagers this year, along with some Bullock Orioles and the ever agressive and waring hummers

Impressive list that mate. I have it a modest garden size wise but it overlooks the foothills of the Moors and quite rural, so hoping to see what's out there. I think I need to make a bird table and get to observe a wider variety too.
Feeders are the way to go mate. They pull our feathered friends in like magnets. Hang a few decent size ones in the trees around your garden, Sun flower seeds are best I find if a bit pricey. Put some fat balls and coconut full of seeds out as well.

Our resident sparrow hawk uses the feeders to target small birds. Hits them at speed and takes them away to its plucking post.

Feeders are the way to go mate. They pull our feathered friends in like magnets. Hang a few decent size ones in the trees around your garden, Sun flower seeds are best I find if a bit pricey. Put some fat balls and coconut full of seeds out as well.

Our resident sparrow hawk uses the feeders to target small birds. Hits them at speed and takes them away to its plucking post.
Nice one mate, will do. l love watching garden birds and will make a bird table soon. Thanks: )

Can't beat a bit of twitching.

I have a decent garden which is semi wild also so lots of frogs around.
I feed the birds(and squirrels) with sunflower hearts .

Blue Tits
Long Tail Tits
Wood Pigeons
Collared Doves
Gold Finch
Green Finch
Starlings
Blackbirds
Sparrows
Chaffinch
Sparrow Hawk
Bats
Heron
Song Thrush

and my favourite Nuthatch.
Not in my garden, but a unique experience....sitting on the edge of a wood, eating a picnic. I expected an avian visitor but, who should come right up to me, bold as brass, but a nuthatch. Enjoyed his morsel too and stuck around for more. Wonderful.

I used to have a large back garden which backed on to a river. Beyond the river a big deciduous wood, beyond that, the moors. Was brilliant for all kinds of birds, including kestrels, sparrow hawks, jays, goldfinches. But my fave was the tawny owls. At night, they would perch right outside my bedroom window on the roof of the bay below. Lovely mellow hoots. In the morning, the hard parts of beetles etc scattered around indicated the birds' supper.
Moved, on retirement to a smaller place, but still plenty of songbirds. At this time of year, we always hear the beautiful evening soloist as a blackbird goes through his amazing repertoire of imitations.
PS. Kites seem to be making a comeback hereabouts. Seen at least 4 in recent weeks. One was gliding at below tree top height just 40 yards away, fantastic sight.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.