Gareth Bale

cookster said:
Bale was an idiot for signing the last contract. If he hadn't signed, next season he could have bought out the remaining 2 years around 9M

Why was he an idiot?

He was, and still is (by all accounts), very happy at Spurs. Signing that new contract meant that he would stay a while longer at the place where he is happy but would be paid two or three times more to do so. Win-win.

At the time that he signed, he was a very good player but by no means the phenomenon that he became last season - when he rose to an altogether different, world class level. He was only 22. Still learning the game. Plenty of time on his side. Spurs was the right club and right environment for his development. And AVB is definitely the right manager. If he had left last year, he might never have made that giant leap forward. He might forever have been pigeon-holed as a traditional left winger. He might never have realised his true potential.

He's incredibly hard working and focused; very down to earth; not the type to become the subject of tabloid scandal; not likely to be caught on youtube behaving drunkenly and loutishly. Seems to me that he's a rare example of a young player with his head screwed on the right way.

In fact, the polar opposite of an idiot.

Good post above,i agree,he did the right thing staying put and resigning.

He will get a great deal when he leaves and Spuds get an amazing fee.

cookster said:
Bale was an idiot for signing the last contract. If he hadn't signed, next season he could have bought out the remaining 2 years around 9M

I don't pretend to understand how these contracts work. But it seems to me when players sign a contract extension which appears largely to protect re-sale value for the club, he won't be doing it solely for the benefit of the club.
I would be quite surprised if there wasn't a deal done to benefit the player and his agent on this upside too.

signing bale would make a BIG BIG improvement on our team and could be the difference, imagine bale,silva,navas,aguero.

JimB said:
cookster said:

Why was he an idiot?

He was, and still is (by all accounts), very happy at Spurs. Signing that new contract meant that he would stay a while longer at the place where he is happy but would be paid two or three times more to do so. Win-win.

At the time that he signed, he was a very good player but by no means the phenomenon that he became last season - when he rose to an altogether different, world class level. He was only 22. Still learning the game. Plenty of time on his side. Spurs was the right club and right environment for his development. And AVB is definitely the right manager. If he had left last year, he might never have made that giant leap forward. He might forever have been pigeon-holed as a traditional left winger. He might never have realised his true potential.

He's incredibly hard working and focused; very down to earth; not the type to become the subject of tabloid scandal; not likely to be caught on youtube behaving drunkenly and loutishly. Seems to me that he's a rare example of a young player with his head screwed on the right way.

In fact, the polar opposite of an idiot.
Come on, don`t spoil the thread by talking sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.