gareth barry - a dilemma

tolmie's hairdoo said:
GaudinoMotors said:
Anyone who has been to training will know that Barry isn't slow at all.

Unfortunatley I fear he isn't the type of player City fans appreciate - he isn't the enforcer type like De Jong and he isn't the constant motion of a Tevez
What he is is an intelligent player that reads the game well, provides cover and can deliver educated passes - long or short. It's also about what he doesn't do with the ball - he makes the opposition choose a different route by his coverage and makes them pass sideways or back.
He is class - he was at villa and he is for England - lets not start on him already!

Not starting, Gaudino. What Barry does in training is another thing. He is hardly competing with pace merchants in De Jong, Ireland and Komps in the central positions.

You can only really gauge his attributes in a real match situation, and last night, he did not engage the opposition quick enough.

More worringly, against a player such as Scholes, whose best years are well behind him. He also appears to over-rotate when he runs, like his legs are quick enough to keep up with his brain, and falls over. Hopefully not a sign that he is already on the downward spiral of his career.

Yes, there is an art to winning free-kicks, relieving some of the pressure, but most of the time, they are nothing free-kicks, based on him not having the out ball we all that he possessed.

It does make me smile when we go on about our guys being the best of this and that.

The football word is a big place and we are having to learn the hard way what improvements we need. The likes of Yaya Toure and Gerrard are exactly the type of players this City midfield is missing.

We were in double figures last season scoring from midfield. Take our wingers our of the equation, and Barry and De Jong are not chipping in.

Compare that to Fletcher, Carrick, even Gibson, when he plays, they all provide a scoring threat.

Our central two/three don't even get the opposition to concern themselves with this.

We are set up differently and with more of a counter attacking style.
I would also certanily prefer Barry over Carrick and Gibson anyday.
If Tevez has taught us anything - don't write proven players off so quickly (not that there is any need to with Barry)

An interesting observation on Radio 5 the other day was that Martin O'Neill's talent as a manager is to make average players look very good. I immediatly thought of Barry, perhaps he looked better at Villa than he really is.

im not a fan of barry. but to play 3 defensive midfielders was a mistake.

it wasn't just him.

aphex said:
im not a fan of barry. but to play 3 defensive midfielders was a mistake.

it wasn't just him.

Agree.

We need a more creative player in midfield. Ireland's injury meant he went into last night's game a little rusty, but without him we have no-one creative in the middle. With the runs of Tevez and Bellers the team are crying out for it - we have no cover for a play maker and that leaves the only option of a defensive middle of the park.

To play 3 defensive midfielders was a mistake, but Bobby really had no options.

I could , if i was arsed , trawl back through the posts to the one i made on here at the time of his signing , when i got a fair bit of flak for telling it how it was , and for not agreeing with the many posters who thought Gareth Barry was the finest thing since sliced bread ......... mainly because he'd signed for City and had put one or two decent England performances in.

But all you really had to do was watch his performances for Villa over the years ...... despite what a few Villa fans would have you believe , he has NEVER been the consistent , or 'dynamic' sort ..... think about it , how many times did he actually stand out whenever Villa played us or the rags , for example , over the years ....... hardly any , that's what!

A lot of Aston Villa fans actually wanted to get shut of him , truth be told ....... they didn't see him as being worth £12 million.

take my word for it , in Gareth Barry we have bought a player who will ALWAYS just 'do it' in fits and starts ...... i said it back then , and i'm saying it now

carrying an injury or not ... he'll never , ever , change.

tommytheblue said:
We dont have a midfielder who can pick the ball up or win it and drive it forward!

Seems Micah can do this funnily enough but he comes from defence and not midfield and can leave big gaps behind him (if by drive you mean run with it and not just release it, in which case yeah... Ireland is the closest).

ono said:
I honestly don't rate him. I've been saying it for months that we have nobody in midfield who can carry the ball or keep possession. I've been saying for months that away from home it is a massive problem and the reason players like Robinho and Adebayor are less effective. Without going into that now, i honestly think we need to have a serious look. The centre of midfield is the most important part of the team for me and we are seriously lacking.

At the minute i feel we just have players who can 'do a job' but i look at our midfield and i just don't see us controlling the game away at teams in the top half of the league.

Again, if he's carrying an injury all of this might be a little unfair, but if he is, then he needs to get it seen to. I'd imagine the reason he hasn't is down to the World Cup, which is a shame because it's hindering his performance for us if true.

I agree, overpriced and over rated I'm afraid.

he's got tonnes of ability on the ball and can read the game very well. he has the ability to affect the game when he isn't on the ball, but, I agree that he hasn't been showing enough recently. pace isn't a priority in the centre of midfield, but he does look laboured atm. you do start to wonder if he's perfectly suited to our needs. he has a great left foot but we see it so rarely, it's a big disappointment. my bet is he needs an op, probably a rest. hopefully he can up it a notch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.