Gareth Barry

Barry is a victim of his own style like Yaya. The converse is De Jong and Silva who are herelded mainly for their style.

In terms of actual statistical effect Barry has made more tackles, won more headers and made more interceptions than his stylish counterpart. Similarly Toure has assisted a similar amount and scored more in the league than Silva. Now I'm not going to suggest that this tells the whole story because I agree we look more fluid with Silva in the side and arguably more solid with De Jong in the side. Alls I'm trying to say is without the stats most people would say De Jong made more tackles/interceptions and Silva had more total assists/goals, but it isn't the case so maybe some of your other perceptions are wrong.

One of the best English professionals around and has played his part for us but lately it has become clear that his position is one that could be massively upgraded for us.

Watching Holland the other day showed me how great our midfield could be if we signed Sneijder or someone just like him. Very little got past De Jong and as soon as he took the ball, it was given to Sneijder or Van Der Vaart, and Holland looked ruthless going forward because they have such creative options after the defensive midfield (just one, Van Bommel didn't play and De Jong did much of it by himself with Sneijder, VDV, Afellay, Kuyt, and Van Persie ahead or around him - they also had the brilliant van der Wiel, who outshone every one of those names, searing down the flank from RB).

If you want a example of an good box-to-box player:

Ramires, watching him against Scotland..probly one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the world.

Agressive, agile, but also gets forward with pretty fast runs. Good tackling...

Barry is nowhere near him.

BlueCityfan said:
If you want a example of an good box-to-box player:

Ramires, watching him against Scotland..probly one of the best box-to-box midfielders in the world.

Agressive, agile, but also gets forward with pretty fast runs. Good tackling...

Barry is nowhere near him.

Think Yaya is supposed to be that for us, not Barry. We were linked strongly with Ramires when the Yaya deal threatened to go belly up but got Yaya. At his best, Yaya is better than Ramires but lacks the hunger and will to improve that Ramires has shown at Chelsea (going from flop of the season candidate to an asset).

Do you want a great professional, someone who gives 100% or a good player?

He is crap, slow and gives away too many stupid fouls, not good enough to play for a top team. Sorry but facts are facts.

Barry and YaYa I don't think are good enough. Should replace them with some real quality that can make a difference.

BlueCityfan said:
Haven't seen a thread about him recently. But i just wanted to say what i think about him now. Many of you probly watched the England game against Wales.

Well...Barry who starts week in and week out for our club. Cannot even make it to the England bench anymore.

He has not been playing very well for us either.Dont get me wrong..
im not trying to slagg him. I actually like him.

Mancini didin't like players like Dunne and Ireland. And he sold them.

He didin't do this with Barry. And i think it shows how professional Barry is..and that he trains well. And i think he got a great attitude.

But i think many of you will agree that he is slowly declining. And i think he needs to be replaced in the starting 11.

He is already losing his place in the england team. And i think he isn't worth a starting spot in our team anymore.

Whats your thoughts?

If we want to finsh 5th and 6th every season Barry is the perfect player in our midfield to help us do that. We signed him after finishing 10th and with him we finished 5th and are looking like we'll be 4th or 5th again. He's a fairly good player who can be very good. He is, however, slow as fuck and his passing is sometimes unaccaptably bad. With him in our team we will remain at the level we are currently at.

What we need is another creative/attacking midfielder to play with Silva further forward. We can move Yaya back to where Barry has been playing and move Barry to the Vieira role - playing very infrequently in early round cup games and in emergency situations.<br /><br />-- Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:50 pm --<br /><br />
LoveCity said:
One of the best English professionals around and has played his part for us but lately it has become clear that his position is one that could be massively upgraded for us.

Watching Holland the other day showed me how great our midfield could be if we signed Sneijder or someone just like him. Very little got past De Jong and as soon as he took the ball, it was given to Sneijder or Van Der Vaart, and Holland looked ruthless going forward because they have such creative options after the defensive midfield (just one, Van Bommel didn't play and De Jong did much of it by himself with Sneijder, VDV, Afellay, Kuyt, and Van Persie ahead or around him - they also had the brilliant van der Wiel, who outshone every one of those names, searing down the flank from RB).

Exactly!

BIG DONKEY said:
Do you want a great professional, someone who gives 100% or a good player?

He is crap, slow and gives away too many stupid fouls, not good enough to play for a top team. Sorry but facts are facts.

Barry and YaYa I don't think are good enough. Should replace them with some real quality that can make a difference.

Facts are facts.. the facts are Barry makes more tackles, passes and interceptions than De Jong and Yaya.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.