Gareth Barry

I've thought for the last two years that Barry isn't good enough to be in our starting 11. He is a fairly average player and I don't feel that he brings anything in particular to our side. Hopefully we can sign another attacking midfielder, i.e. Nasri or Aguero, who can replace him in the team. Besides, we have the amazing De Jong, so we don't need a second defensive midfielder.

paul.manc said:
I've thought for the last two years that Barry isn't good enough to be in our starting 11. He is a fairly average player and I don't feel that he brings anything in particular to our side. Hopefully we can sign another attacking midfielder, i.e. Nasri or Aguero, who can replace him in the team. Besides, we have the amazing De Jong, so we don't need a second defensive midfielder.

I'm sick of people calling Barry a purely defensive mid, as if they're repeating what all the newspapers say every single day. He's more of a deep-lying playmaker like Cambiasso. He's not the quickest guy on the pitch, but he gets plays started once De Jong and the back four get the ball back.

Until De Jong can spray the ball around the pitch (and I'm not saying he won't; he's just not as good at that as Barry at the moment, but he is improving), having someone like Barry in the starting 11 is crucial for our success.

paul.manc said:
I agree. He's a 5 average games, 3 shit games, 2 great games.. in 10 player. His pace is embarrassing, his passing is either great or shit (no in between!), his defensive play is okay, he gets his body in good positions a lot to shield the ball or a player. He's a good player if you want to finish 4th-6th, if we want to challenge for the title I don't think we should start him all that often!

codespyder said:
paul.manc said:

I'm sick of people calling Barry a purely defensive mid, as if they're repeating what all the newspapers say every single day. He's more of a deep-lying playmaker like Cambiasso. He's not the quickest guy on the pitch, but he gets plays started once De Jong and the back four get the ball back.

Until De Jong can spray the ball around the pitch (and I'm not saying he won't; he's just not as good at that as Barry at the moment, but he is improving), having someone like Barry in the starting 11 is crucial for our success.
I'm sorry, but you have just called Barry a playmaker? Never in a million years

conormcfc said:
Anyone doubting Barry, watch the 2nd half of the semi. Our best player by miles and that includes Yaya. He is far better at passing, creating and breaking up the play than De Jong but he'll never get the credit for it.

Trouble is that Gareth Barry lacks a degree of consistency , as he previously did at Villa too ......

sure he can be brilliant on occasion , and really noticeable .....

but on other occasions , especially away from home , he can be practically non-existent and over-run , and he'd be the first to admit it.

As much as i hated Roy Keane , you knew what you were getting from him , and home and away you'd get a similar performance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.