Gareth Barry

I am not quite sure what his problem is.

He has got another year and at the end of that year or even in January we can offer him another contract for a year or two.

Problem with players at his age they want 4 years and similar money and that is not feasible now.

He has been great for us though and arguably one of our best signings for the money paid and what he has given us for that.

Barry has been an unsung hero , he was one of the first signings of the blue revolution , and has never whinged to the press when he has been on the bench or substituted , he hardly ever gets injured or suspended, and hes been a 7 out of 10 performer for 99% of his appearances.

How an english midfielder playing with a club that has finished as champions and then runners up in consecutive seasons cant get in the england squad is a joke , are parker,cleverley,carrick,lampard really better than gaz baz ? Hodgsons even played clown boy phil jones in midfield before barry , just hope he has a great season and that f*cking idiot hodgson picks him for Brazil , it would be a fitting swansong for a very good english midfield player.

Aytoun said:
Glad he came on yesterday to showcase his full range. Deceptively slow, gave the ball away under no pressure & a nasty foul when out of position. No own goal though.
New management WILL look at videos & Barry & several others dead men strolling.

Hmm...*

*Activates Foe button...

gmckennasell said:
Barry has been an unsung hero , he was one of the first signings of the blue revolution , and has never whinged to the press when he has been on the bench or substituted , he hardly ever gets injured or suspended, and hes been a 7 out of 10 performer for 99% of his appearances.

How an english midfielder playing with a club that has finished as champions and then runners up in consecutive seasons cant get in the england squad is a joke , are parker,cleverley,carrick,lampard really better than gaz baz ? Hodgsons even played clown boy phil jones in midfield before barry , just hope he has a great season and that f*cking idiot hodgson picks him for Brazil , it would be a fitting swansong for a very good english midfield player.
Gets a lot of stick from fans of other clubs. I am constantly told how crap he its but only city fans who watch him week in week out can tell you what he's really like. He's a calm player who controls the tempo for the match. Last season was his poorest since joining us, capped by a really poor performance in the FA cup final. He isn't the only one who under performed last season so I'm hoping for better, more consistent performances next season.

I'd be happy to let him leave if we could get one of Kongdobia, Verratti, Matuidi or Pogba... sadly we won't get and it's not footie manager so we keep him.

I think the quotes from Barry himself were posted somewhere but here's the full article

<a class="postlink" href="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11679/8845188/manchester-city-midfielder-gareth-barry-remains-in-the-dark-over-his-future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... his-future</a>

But Since I'm aware a lot of you hate sky sports:

Gareth Barry has revealed he could walk away from Manchester City at the end of the season after admitting the club have yet to speak to him about a new deal.

The England international has a year left to run on his current contract and despite new boss Manuel Pellegrini reassuring him that he is part of his plans, Barry remains in the dark over his future.

Barry, 32, who joined City from Aston Villa in a £12m deal four years ago, admits he is disappointed there has been no offer.

"I haven't heard anything about a new deal from the club, so it looks as though my contract will run out next summer and I'll have to take it from there."
Gareth Barry
"It's just a case of wait and see, as far as a new contract is concerned," Barry told the Sunday Mirror.

"I haven't heard anything about a new deal from the club, so it looks as though my contract will run out next summer and I'll have to take it from there.

"The manager has spoken to me. He told me that he sees a place for me in his squad as he wants two quality players in every position.

"I've got to admit that, with Yaya Toure, Javi Garcia and now Fernandinho in the squad, it's going to be tough for anyone to nail down a position in central midfield. I'm a bit disappointed that there's been no offer, but I haven't got myself too down about it.

Take it however you want but to me that suggests they're waiting to see if they need his experience in the middle and/or to plug any holes that seem to spring up during the next season. Although I won't lie to you guys, I'm a bit pessimistic about this. Shame because Barry is a top, top player.

Бравый Дератизатор said:
He should be rewarded with a new deal for his quality performaces during his spell at City

Even as Barry's biggest fan you can't do that. You renew if there is something to be gotten from that player not just because of what he's done in the past. As it happens i,d leave it as it is and keep him the final year, if he then goes on to star in our team you renew, if all sides agree its best he moves on the he goes with our thanks and our blessing. His reward then is that he's on a free and could still command a decent contract that the proffessional he is deserves.

I think it was a Villa fan who posted on here shortly after we signed Barry who said:

'When you first see Barry play, you wonder what all the fuss is about. The first time he's not in the team, you know what all the fuss is about.'

A perfect summary for me. He's not spectacular in the same way a front axel isn't spectacular. However, a spectacular Ferrari wouldn't work half as well if it didn't have one.

NipHolmes said:
Shaelumstash said:
NipHolmes said:
His legs are slowing and he loses the ball quite often. Compare his passing range from deep with Yaya and it's way below. Fernandinho likes to run with teh ball and can do Barrys jonb, again Barry is below that level. Rodwell can tackle as good as Barry, he has an engine on him and he like to run forward too. Barry again is lacking.

Barry has experience, he can read games very well but make no mistake he is waning. Compare him to the other likely top 6 teams for player in the same position.

United - Carrick
Chelsea - Luiz/Mikel
Arsenal - Arteta/Diaby
Spurs - Sandro/Paulinho
Liverpool - Lucas

I'd only give him the no over Mikel and Arteta (who is a better passer but not as good as a defender obviously). That speaks volumes for me. Why would a team aiming for the top keep a player who struggles to get into the likes of Liverpool or Spurs? Barry is a very expensive squad option for us to keep. He is a warrior like figure who brakes play, roughs teams up and keeps things ticking. The problem comes when our opponents have more pace and aren't frightened to target Barry and therefore give him a nightmare. We won the title with him and for that he deserves respect, we must look at the future rather than dwell on the past. Time to move on and have younger players who are our future in our main point of focus. Any games spare when we mull over Barry and Rodwell must be given to Rodwell this season and we say Goodbye in the summer.
Say what you want about Barry, but to say he gives the ball away a lot is just absolute bollocks. His pass completion is 86% which is one of the highest in the league.

The best thing about Barry's game though is his choice of pass. He always picks the intelligent pass, and does it quickly. You notice the difference when a less intelligent player like Milner or Garcia replace him in the middle.

I meant advancing passes rather than sideways. Yaya can pass like Gerrard, Barry simply keeps us ticking. He's likely to have a good percentange too because he passes to Yaya or to defense. Allen at Liverpool is the same. Still the danger comes from Gerrard when he lines up a killer move with a single accurate pass.

The worst thing about Barry is the way he cannot track a player and resorts to a foul. Once he's booked he treads in thin ice. In Europe this will always be the case against top teams.

I want him to stay but only for this season. Next season I want Garcia and Barry off the books and a move for Vidal or Gundogan. That's what we need to be the best, a box to box player with an engine like Milners who doesn't lack in quality.

Disagree with that. Yes, Barry does keep us ticking, and plays his fair share of sideways passes, but he is also very, very good at getting the ball forward quickly and accurately into the likes of Silva and Nasri. Comparing him to Allen, who habitually plays the safe ball (backwards and sideways) while commentators rave about his pass completion statistics, is misplaced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.