Gareth Southgate

Why would you be happy with Lee Carsley?
Won the U21 Euros literally a year ago. Knows players like Gordon, Branthwaite, Palmer, Elliott, and others, who will be part of the main England set-up at the next few tournaments. Despite Southgate's limitations as a manager, I imagine he's fostered such a good atmosphere in the squad since 2018 because he's known a lot of them through various stages of their development. What gives Carsley the edge is that he's already won a trophy with the U21s, whereas Southgate's best performance was a semi-final. And this is also exactly how Spain got De La Fuente into the top job - he was a pretty unremarkable manager at club level in Spain so he switched to the international set-up and managed the U18s, then the U19s, and then the U21s, won two Euros at youth level, until the Spanish FA just promoted him from within to the full national side. It means he's already worked with half the squad by the time the tournaments come around. I think Carsley's worth a punt but Potter is as well.

It might depend on Chelsea’s severance package. There must be a reason that Potter has disappeared after being sacked at Chelsea.
He's probably just waiting for the England job. Same reason Zidane has gone quiet since leaving Madrid, but he'll have to prize that job out of Deschamps' cold dead hands.

Carsley is a possibility I would have thought. Personally would love a maverick like Bielsa, maybe with a more FA type man like Carsley handling the press and learning the ropes

Fuck Mourinho out of the frying pan into the fire. Negative as fuck.

not entirely true, he's had plenty of high scoring teams too. You don't win what he's won just being negative.

I always thought he would make a good international manager. He knows how to win tournaments and not around the players day to day, so less chance to fall out with anyone. Besides I think him falling out with players isn't entirely his fault, the kind of players he falls out with are the likes of Pogba. He just doesn't like poor attitudes. Most of his ex players love him and say they would run through walls for him.

anyway he's not going to become England manager so it doesn't really matter but I think he would do a good job over the course of tournaments that only last a month

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.