Gareth Taylor

Small margins. I was thinking back to this game earlier in the season, where we took our foot off the pedal rather than destroying Bristol City like Chelsea did. Hopefully he'll learn from all this.1000006226.png

"Winning 18 out of 22 games is usually enough to win the league."

I refer Mr Taylor back to the Arsenal game.

Weird thing to say when he knows full well the WSL doesn't work like that. Winning 18 out of 22 is objectively a very impressive statistic up until this season nobody had ever lost 3 games and won the league before.

Weird thing to say when he knows full well the WSL doesn't work like that. Winning 18 out of 22 is objectively a very impressive statistic up until this season nobody had ever lost 3 games and won the league before.

Perhaps indicates that being given a new contract has gone to his head ?

Strange decision imo.

I hope I am wrong, but as long as this man is in charge, I am afraid things will not change for the women’s team. Chelsea already are bringing an excellent coach. I won’t be surprised that next year he will also struggle against Arsenal and United, and perhaps also Aston Villa, if they strengthened their teams.

Obviously there is talent and quality in our team, but the coach has major limitations from early on during his tenure, and importantly he doesn’t learn and change: consistent bias towards some players, insistence on playing players out of their natural positions, low footballing IQ, poor game management, and absence of basic player management such as motivation and encouragement. He is getting to his FIFTH season with a single league cup to show despite having high quality players at least during 3 out of his first 4 seasons. Despite that, whoever has the power, extended his contract during the season for 3 more years, and that was a terrible mistake that defies basics of successful business. The one who agreed on that renewal should be at least investigated. At the meantime, there is a strong opinion on here that this coach is highly connected at the club, and basically untouchable. Unfortunately, considering the ongoing events, this notion appears to be true. I didn’t have the opportunity to watch the Aston Villa game, but I saw the highlights. I noticed that he again used Chloe Kelly in an important game despite her unhidden disinterest during entire season. I was sad to see the players down after the game realizing that winning the league was in hand, then was gone because of the coach’s poor management during Arsenal’s game. We needed a draw or better a win, but he failed again to come up with a successful strategy to secure that. It was also disappointing to see this smug walking around with a smile on his face after the game, despite the suffering of the players. What an idiot. He should never be in charge of this team anymore, but then…

What also baffles me is that some on BM keep defending and finding unsubstantiated excuses for his failures. They keep ignoring that he already spent four years with this team, not 1 or 2. If he had some mediocre (mediocre is really harsh considering the level of most the clubs in this league) players one year, he had excellent players in the other 3 years. Face it, the man is not at the level. It is not his first time. He showed the same pattern before when he was in charge of one of the youth teams. As I recall, the players disliked him, and the team just failed during his tenure. The club keeps proving that the women team is there only for PR and media purpose by insisting on keeping this nincompoop in charge.

I hope I am wrong, but as long as this man is in charge, I am afraid things will not change for the women’s team. Chelsea already are bringing an excellent coach. I won’t be surprised that next year he will also struggle against Arsenal and United, and perhaps also Aston Villa, if they strengthened their teams.

Obviously there is talent and quality in our team, but the coach has major limitations from early on during his tenure, and importantly he doesn’t learn and change: consistent bias towards some players, insistence on playing players out of their natural positions, low footballing IQ, poor game management, and absence of basic player management such as motivation and encouragement. He is getting to his FIFTH season with a single league cup to show despite having high quality players at least during 3 out of his first 4 seasons. Despite that, whoever has the power, extended his contract during the season for 3 more years, and that was a terrible mistake that defies basics of successful business. The one who agreed on that renewal should be at least investigated. At the meantime, there is a strong opinion on here that this coach is highly connected at the club, and basically untouchable. Unfortunately, considering the ongoing events, this notion appears to be true. I didn’t have the opportunity to watch the Aston Villa game, but I saw the highlights. I noticed that he again used Chloe Kelly in an important game despite her unhidden disinterest during entire season. I was sad to see the players down after the game realizing that winning the league was in hand, then was gone because of the coach’s poor management during Arsenal’s game. We needed a draw or better a win, but he failed again to come up with a successful strategy to secure that. It was also disappointing to see this smug walking around with a smile on his face after the game, despite the suffering of the players. What an idiot. He should never be in charge of this team anymore, but then…

What also baffles me is that some on BM keep defending and finding unsubstantiated excuses for his failures. They keep ignoring that he already spent four years with this team, not 1 or 2. If he had some mediocre (mediocre is really harsh considering the level of most the clubs in this league) players one year, he had excellent players in the other 3 years. Face it, the man is not at the level. It is not his first time. He showed the same pattern before when he was in charge of one of the youth teams. As I recall, the players disliked him, and the team just failed during his tenure. The club keeps proving that the women team is there only for PR and media purpose by insisting on keeping this nincompoop in charge.

Taylor is unconvincing and uninspiring as a manager imo and the news of his contract indicative of the club's interest in pushing the womens team on to better things.

Are they really going to invest in quality players and then expect them to accept a mediocre manager to push them on and help them achieve success ?

Getting Hemp to sign another contract is a great achievement, but getting quality players to sign knowing that Taylor is in charge will really test the pulling power of the club imho.

Considering how everything else at the club is run so succesfully and progressively, the contract for Taylor indicates a lack of ambition for the team which I find strange and disappointing.

Despite the way the season ended it was a big step forward for the club. Taylor has to get some of the credit for that as well. On here it sometimes seems the players get all of the praise when things go well, and Taylor gets all of the blame when they don't.

But we need another step forward next season, and I think another trophy less season will see him on thin ice.

I get the feeling that this bunch of players are so good they are actually playing on instinct and for each other on the pitch. I think Steph Houghton has a lot to do with team talks and motivation. When it falls apart is when Taylor doesn't use subs correctly and the number of games we've conceded last minute goals is a worry. That is when the manager should earn his corn to settle the players instead we see panic in defence. Looks like transfers are arranged above Taylor through the likes of Neilson and I suspect there will be some quality signings coming in next season so at least we will be up there again and I hope we can get over the line!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.