Gary James' 'Boy's in Blue' Dancehouse - 9th June

Gary James

Ever wanted to see film of City's old Hyde Road ground?

Great news, for the 1st time since 1905 a film of City's historic first League ground will be shown on a large screen in Manchester. The NorthWest Film Archive & I have been given permission to show this rare, surviving footage of the ground in our "Boys In Blue" film show, taking place at the Dancehouse Theatre, Oxford Rd, Manchester in June. Tickets available now - http://thedancehouse.co.uk/events/2016/46-the-boys-in-blue

The night will also include footage from Maine Rd's first and last games, homecoming parades from 1934, 1956 and 1976, plus film filmed on the Kippax with fans chanting. Other, never before seen, footage will be announced closer to the day, but for now be assured that this film show will show film, the majority of which, is unavailable anywhere else. It should be a great night.

Attended the excellent and enjoyable film show you organised three years ago-have now booked tickets for this one, and really looking forward to seeing your additional Hyde Road films, as well as viewing again the ones shown last time. It rekindled so many very emotional and special memories, especially for me of Maine Road.
Talking of Maine Road, I remain so disappointed with the only "plaque" ( and its not even that) there as a tribute to our old home. It doesn't even mention "Manchester City Football Club" , which is a disgrace.

Attended the excellent and enjoyable film show you organised three years ago-have now booked tickets for this one, and really looking forward to seeing your additional Hyde Road films, as well as viewing again the ones shown last time. It rekindled so many very emotional and special memories, especially for me of Maine Road.
Talking of Maine Road, I remain so disappointed with the only "plaque" ( and its not even that) there as a tribute to our old home. It doesn't even mention "Manchester City Football Club" , which is a disgrace.
Agree with what you say about Maine Rd. Awful really!

Thanks for comments about the film show. This will be the last time we do it, and we're trying to add a few special items. Watch this space. http://thedancehouse.co.uk/events/2016/46-the-boys-in-blue

Not long to go before the "Boys in Blue" film show at the Dancehouse on 9th June. A limited number of tickets are available (we've sold over 300 in a 400 capacity venue so far).

If you wonder what it's all about here's a couple of brief clips taken from the show: &

Tickets available here: http://thedancehouse.co.uk/events/2016/46-the-boys-in-blue

Here's the press release as well:

PRESS RELEASE

The Boys In Blue: Manchester City FC on Film

The North West Film Archive at Manchester Metropolitan University is pleased to announce The Boys In Blue: Manchester City FC on Film’, a special screening of archive films all about Manchester City Football Club, curated and presented by author and football historian Dr Gary James.

The screening will take place on Thursday June 9th 2016 at 7.30pm at The Dancehouse, Oxford Road, Manchester as part of this year’s Manchester Histories Festival.

The show covers almost 100 years of history, from film of the club’s first ground at Hyde Road, through to videotape of the final game at Maine Road. The films to be screened are sourced from the huge variety of material held in the Archive’s own collections plus guest films used with the kind permission of the British Film Institute.

Triumphant homecomings and amazing archive material is brought to life by Gary's unrivalled knowledge of the club’s history.

Highlights of the show include:

• Fantastic homecoming receptions after the cup victories of 1934, 1969 and 1976.

• Footage shot by City goalkeeper Harry Dowd, who passed away last year, which will be shown in public for the first time. Dowd recorded the team relaxing on tour, visiting Istanbul for the club’s first game in European competition and bringing the European Cup Winners Cup back to Manchester in 1970.

• Television interviews with key figures in the club’s history during the 1970s and 1980s including legendary manager Joe Mercer on the day he resigned, and excerpts from a documentary about the infamous chairman Peter Swales.

• The sights and sounds inside the huge Kippax terrace on the last day of its use in 1994, and a fan’s eye view of the last day at Maine Road in 2003.

• The recording of the 1972 song ‘The Boys in Blue’ at Strawberry Studios in Stockport, with first-team players cajoled into performing by songwriters 10cc. A favourite with City fans, this track is still played regularly at the Etihad Stadium today.

• Film of Hyde Road from 1905, the only known film record of City’s first ground, and a cinema newsreel of the opening match at Maine Road in 1923 (courtesy of the British Film Institute).

The Archive’s Access Assistant Will McTaggart, who collaborated with Gary James in compiling the show, said “This is a great opportunity for City fans to enjoy an evening with a difference, to take a look back at the history of the club and to share the experiences of fellow Blues over the past century. But it’s also a show that depicts how Manchester as a city has changed, how the coverage of football has developed, and how a passion for the game burns brightly throughout.”
Tickets are available from the Dancehouse box office (0161 237 9753) and online at http://thedancehouse.co.uk

For further information, interview, and footage contact Will McTaggart on 0161 247 3097.

Additional information

The North West Film Archive has been based at Manchester Metropolitan University since 1977 and is the professionally-recognised public home for the moving image heritage of the North West of England.

The North West Film Archive is located at Manchester Central Library, St Peters Square, Manchester M2 5PD Tel. 0161 247 3097 www.nwfa.mmu.ac.uk

Dr Gary James

Gary James is the author of several football publications and is a lecturer within the Department of Exercise and Sport Science at Manchester Metropolitan University. He is currently researching the birth of association football in the Manchester region, considering the teams, players, personalities and supporters that helped shape the growth of the game in that city. He has published extensively on Manchester football and is a member of the MMU Sport, Leisure and History Group (SpLeisH). Gary is also on the judging panel for the National Football Museum’s Hall of Fame. For more information on his latest books see www.facebook.com/garyjames4 or twitter: @garyjameswriter

The Dancehouse Theatre is located at 10 Oxford Rd, Manchester M1 5QA.

Manchester Histories Festival 2016

Delivered by charity Manchester Histories, Manchester Histories Festival (MHF) is unique amongst histories festivals in the UK for working in collaborative partnerships with communities, individuals and organisations. Offering ten-days of music, film, debate, talks, performance, walking tours, visual arts and much more, MHF aims to both celebrate the familiar and reveal the new and hidden histories and heritage from across Greater Manchester. Whether people would describe themselves as histories fans or not, MHF2016 will have something for everyone.

3-12 June 2016 / manchesterhistories.co.uk / @mcrhistfest

It was a brilliant evening. Mrs Vienna and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

@Gary James' narration of the clips we saw was top class and his knowledge of City and ability to pinpoint a player or opposing team, even from the oldest footage, some of which had never been shown in public before, is amazing. Harry Dowd's cine-film footage from Vienna in 1970 was fantastic to see.

However, it was very scary to see Peter bloody Swales in some of the clips; they brought back some very bad memories for a lot of the audience.

And to cap off the evening, on the way down the stairs, I saw someone I thought I recognised coming down the steps opposite, so I asked Mrs Vienna, "Is that Ferran Sorranio?"

So, as we met at the bottom of the steps, I plucked up the courage to ask him. "Yes, thank you for supporting us", he replied, as he shook my hand. At that point, two or three others turned to him and said things like keep up the good work. Mrs Vienna ask him if he'd enjoyed the show and he replied that he had. Very much.

Then, as we went down the next flight, I saw Brian Marwood making his way down.

All-in-all a very enjoyable evening. Thank you, Gary and the Dancehouse.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.