Gary Neville analysis of yesterday

peter.evans said:
Nelly, you are right in a way, but I would say that all teams have strengths and weaknesses. Sure we can try and eradicate them and that's what they have done with the 3 5 2 system,etc. However, our strengths make up for the weaknesses and Mancini is aware of the left side issue, which I don't think is a major issue anyway. If people like Gary neville were such great know it alls then surely the team he played in never conceded a goal in his life ? If all this so called technical expertise is so good a goal would never be scored ! Every game would end nil nil because the defences are so brilliant. No, it don't work like that, chances get created, goals get scored. For all the crapping on about City's left side it was basic human error that cost us that defeat by four players on the rags winning goal. Also, luck plays a part, as we saw with Shrek's opening goal, a mis hit that fluked in ! At a time when we were in complete control of the game, just like last season when Foy sent Kompany off. City may have a 'weakness' down the left ( not in my opinion ) but we make up for it by playing a certain way and being much stronger in other areas, which usually gives us the edge. As for this need width nonsense, we have width with the full backs. Do we really want to play down the wing and crossing the ball only to lose it or do we want to keep possession and play the way we do play ? i would much rather see us play the way we do now than start flying down wings and losing possession of the ball. The football we have played in the last two season has been the best i have ever seen from City or from virtually any other English side. Do we really wanna play like the rags did on sunday, on the break and getting lucky ? Not for me, no chance.

That's the thing, though. It's not lucky to hit teams on the break to devestating effect for nigh on 20 years. If you set up your team to go toe to toe with them, you need to be prepared to handle the counter attack. Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle and City have all been beaten using the same tactic of soaking up pressure and attacking with clinical precision. It can't be chalked off as a fluke when they do it week in week out. They should have been 3 up at one stage, regardless of who had the most posession. Stats don't win games, goals do. This stuff from Neville about teams getting joy down the right hand side falls down because the first goal was created down the left.

Mr. Aguia said:
Danamy said:
Bingo............the penny is dropping!

For all those that were slagging Milner and saying he wasn't good enough to be in our team, just hard work doesn't warrant a place etc etc

Now seeing the bigger picture and smelling the coffee eh?

It's also why he gets in front of Walcott and Lennon for England

I agree. Too many people slagging off Milner and Barry. Too focused on fantasy football stats. A team needs a good mix of creators, finishers, ball winners, leadership, energy, etc... Can't have 10 strikers on the pitch and expect to win.

This

Sorry - not read it all.

This was so obvious especially against Ajax away. Any manager worth his salt would have picked up on it.

Wigan away they had lots of joy down that side.

Whats worrying is that the person who should do something about it (Mancini) hasn't. We have just carried on the same way for a number of games. This is why some people think Clichy / Kolorov are not playing well because thewy get caught against two players way to often

onceabluealways said:
Sorry - not read it all.

This was so obvious especially against Ajax away. Any manager worth his salt would have picked up on it.

Whats worrying is that the person who should do something about it (Mancini) hasn't. We have just carried on the same way for a number of games. This is why some people think Clichy / Kolorov are not playing well because thewy get caught against two players way to often

What is he supposed to do then?

Tevez should have been on instead of Nasri. The very definition of defense from the front. If not him at least Kolarov. You need men to mix it in tough games.

Renton said:
So Neville is a tactical genius eh? Knows better than our management team does he?

How about this: History is written by the winners. If we hadnt shipped two of the softest goals you'll ever see from the pitiful amount of efforts on goal the rags had, we would have won convincingly and Neville would had to analyse how useless uniteds attack was.

If my auntie had bollocks...

It's purely about work rate, we didn't have this issue for the majority of last season, Silva, milner and Nasri always worked almost as hard going back as they did forwards, this season they haven't. Barry is normally very good at drifting out to help out the LB but players being lazy in getting back means he has to stay central. Work harder and this weakness out wide disappears.

The view around us on Sunday was certainly that Tevez for Nasri should have been the move at half time.
Thats even with the poor preformance of Mario based on the fact we were two down and Nasri wasnt contributing at all.
Gary Neville is right to illustrate the failings of Nasri. To be fair to him I actually thought he was better in the secind half but we do need to look at that position.

WNRH said:
onceabluealways said:
Sorry - not read it all.

What is he supposed to do then?

Set up with solid partnerships on the wings. If it means;
------------------------------- Hart -----------------------------------
Zab ------------ Komps ------------- Lescott --------------- Nasti
Maicon ---------- Barry ------------- Yaya ------------------ Clichy
--------------------------- Sliva ----------------------------------------
--------------------------- Tevez --------------------------------------

Then so be it. We all know how the rags play, Their CM is wank so they play out wide all the time. And putting Silva and Nasri as cover for the full backs was just suicide IMO. Especially as we tore them apart last season by countering the threat from there wings.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.