Gary Neville analysis of yesterday

Just a suggestion, not saying it's my opinion, but how much do we think the defensive midfielders have to play in coming across to offer support for the full back?

I agree with the speed comment too. I think this isn't just down to speed but fitness. Look at the teams like Real Madrid and Dortmund and every player runs and runs and runs. Forwards and backwards, every time.

Would remind everybody what Frank de Boer (Ajax manager) said after Ajax-City 3-1 match:

"There are always moments in games when Mario Balotelli, Sergio Aguero and Samir Nasri go to sleep. They do not chase the full-back, as they do not believe it is necessary."

We easily could add to this list Silva, and Yaya. They all leacing the fullbacks and Barry totally alone as the simply think they can do that why bother.
Mancini surely asks them or he points out how important is it and yet we see it from match to match.

This is one big flow in our tactics (not the only one) and it is all about discipline and should be corrected easily its not about new players have to come in to solve this. If they come and will have no discipline its the same...

Mancini should tell his stars to work more for the team. At Real Madrid CR sometimes misses these things too, doesnt come back to defend etc, but on the other side he gives so much to them in goals/assists its nothing like what we get from Nasri/Balo in attack.
But even at Real Madrid when CR misses to help out other players work their butt of like Benzema or Di Maria. Benzema with coming deeper, press defenders and Di Maria is constantly coming back helping out their right back. Not mentioning Özil, Modric etc.

It is really only tactical discipline.

Yaya, Agüero, Balotelli, Nasri, Silva, they are the ones who are the problems in this aspect. Not in every match but in a lot of matches they go "sleep" when we lose the ball trying to be only active/good when we have it.

In top level football it wont work when we mee smaller/weaker squads in Europe but one thing is sure the will be disciplined as agains us many times only the discipline is their big gun. Like Ajax who had such a weaker team than City still we were not disciplined enough (when Yaya fails to jump at corners or go with the header player) and we got punished.

Not enough to track back once in a match. Balo used to track back once or twice. But he should track back when there is a United attack and at least press their defenders all the time if nothing else.
Same with Nasri/Silva helping the fullbacks.
Same with Yaya helping Barry.

Help each other ffs its a team game.

Neville is the best analyst I have seen on tv. I recall his analysis last season on how to respond to the narrowness of our attacks. That was also very insightful.

It is bleeding obvious that playing Silva and Nasri, plus 2 strikers, leads to in effect a 4-2-4 formation.

Ideally in my view we could get away with one striker plus Silva in a game situation. However we are burdened with 4 expensive strikers at the moment. In my view we need to reduce this number quickly. I would offload both Mario and Edin if possible.

Neville's point are correct. Clichy is isolated and if he goes forward and is caught out then we are really in trouble. That by the way is not his fault. The fault lies with the structure.

When fit Milner provides much needed coverage. I would play him in every game from now on, until such time as the midfield dilemma is addressed.

We are woeful on both flanks.The first half goals came from deficiences from both the left and right hand flanks.
We need wide players and not just those who bomb forward from a 3-5-1 formation,which is where our problems stem from.
Hate the fuckers,but United showed how to easily beat a weak formation,especially when you have fast wingers and forward players who can find space.

Danamy said:
Bingo............the penny is dropping!

For all those that were slagging Milner and saying he wasn't good enough to be in our team, just hard work doesn't warrant a place etc etc

Now seeing the bigger picture and smelling the coffee eh?

It's also why he gets in front of Walcott and Lennon for England

I agree. Too many people slagging off Milner and Barry. Too focused on fantasy football stats. A team needs a good mix of creators, finishers, ball winners, leadership, energy, etc... Can't have 10 strikers on the pitch and expect to win.

Poor finishing and a series of school boy errors in injury time cost us this game.

Hart hardly had a save to make all game but despite the deflection he didn't cover the post as he should have too concerned about Van Persie dinking it over the wall to his left.

It was obvious he was going to take the shot and as such we should have had a taller and bigger wall.

As well documented it was school boy defending and we have been guilty of that too often this season and despite not putting away the chances that we were last season our poor defending is the main reason we are not near the level we need to be.

20,000 empty seat are f**kin sure?

ill help you out with ya bitter prune faces... ya team has got no desire to win!! just to collect that pay cheque!

ill tell you some more truths aswell your title was a one off dont be expecting to win it again lol this wont happen your players will leave soon...

answer me this how does barry get in your starting line up everyweek lol

Binned.

By the way its "I'll", and "your" if your still reading.....

Nelly, you are right in a way, but I would say that all teams have strengths and weaknesses. Sure we can try and eradicate them and that's what they have done with the 3 5 2 system,etc. However, our strengths make up for the weaknesses and Mancini is aware of the left side issue, which I don't think is a major issue anyway. If people like Gary neville were such great know it alls then surely the team he played in never conceded a goal in his life ? If all this so called technical expertise is so good a goal would never be scored ! Every game would end nil nil because the defences are so brilliant. No, it don't work like that, chances get created, goals get scored. For all the crapping on about City's left side it was basic human error that cost us that defeat by four players on the rags winning goal. Also, luck plays a part, as we saw with Shrek's opening goal, a mis hit that fluked in ! At a time when we were in complete control of the game, just like last season when Foy sent Kompany off. City may have a 'weakness' down the left ( not in my opinion ) but we make up for it by playing a certain way and being much stronger in other areas, which usually gives us the edge. As for this need width nonsense, we have width with the full backs. Do we really want to play down the wing and crossing the ball only to lose it or do we want to keep possession and play the way we do play ? i would much rather see us play the way we do now than start flying down wings and losing possession of the ball. The football we have played in the last two season has been the best i have ever seen from City or from virtually any other English side. Do we really wanna play like the rags did on sunday, on the break and getting lucky ? Not for me, no chance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.