General Astronomy

It’s a full moon tonight, and apparently it ought to be a truly magnificent one.

Do any of you astronomy enthusiast know if this ‘magnificence’ is due to current atmospheric conditions or if it‘s a combination of that and the particular aspect of earth to moon to sun at this time of year?

Thanks in advance.

No mate, it's your fairly typical Sturgeon Moon that would be a Super Moon if not for a few km distance. August generally means clear skies so you can see it better.

The August Sturgeon Moon is actually full of mythological interest from the pre-Christian Briton religions as it's the last one until the Harvest Moon in a month. The name comes from the Yanks now, but the August full Moon has been a thing for several thousand years here and was named after different crops (the Barley Moon, etc). They used to think it was a warning of bad tides depending on its colour.

These Moons are generally just a bit of trivia nowadays but old English civilisations built their entire lives and religions around them. The August full Moon was used as a "sign" that people should breed in some cultures, with it being about 9 months away from bountiful summer where you could afford a kid. It's all pretty interesting if you ask me.

992-D91-CD-BA8-E-4642-9-F23-4-CDBC20-A84-DD.jpg

She was real perty last night

Saturn is around it's annual opposition (sitting on the opposite side of us to the Sun) over the next week, meaning what we see is a nearly perfectly lit planet at it' closest to us. Up before midnight, in the east to south east sky, it's a stunning sight. I wouldn't mistake it for Venus, it definitely has a different colour, and is a touch smaller, but it is just as beautiful at times like this.

In which direction should I be looking in the best hope of seeing one. My garden is South facing and I've seen fuck all.
Seen three they seem to be coming in from the East really bright for a couple of seconds, don't seem to be coming in at the rate of 150 an hour though.:-(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.