General Astronomy

Without looking it up, isn't it because of the suns gravity influencing the orbit and making it elliptical?

The earth's gravity isn't equal. It changes as it's not a perfect sphere, and mass changes. The moon is actually gradually moving away from Earth.

The earth's gravity isn't equal. It changes as it's not a perfect sphere, and mass changes. The moon is actually gradually moving away from Earth.

I didn't know that (or possibly forgot) although that doesn't answer the original question.

It's (inevitably) much more complicated than I stated about the sun affecting it as everything effects it.

Just the Intro section answers their question I think, the rest will possibly just give you a headache (well, it did me anyway).

Edit: if anyone wants to read a hard science apocalyptic novel that has a lot of info about gravity and orbits then try Neal Stephenson's "Seveneves", awesome book.

Last edited:
Anyone explain this? Super moon last night because it was closer to Earth in its orbit of Earth. Why? The moons orbit is influenced by the Earth's gravity, presumably a dropped object accelerates at the same speed if its dropped in the USA or Asia. Which means that the Earth's gravitational pull is the same around the globe. So why isn't the moons orbit a circle instead of being elliptical?
Because the earth and the moon are both orbiting a much larger object…

Are you sure?

The Earth only has one known moon, Cruithne is in an eccentric orbit around the Sun which makes it appear to be in orbit around the Earth at certain times of the year. According to QI the one thing you can definately say about the show is that it is often wrong.

Anyone explain this? Super moon last night because it was closer to Earth in its orbit of Earth. Why? The moons orbit is influenced by the Earth's gravity, presumably a dropped object accelerates at the same speed if its dropped in the USA or Asia. Which means that the Earth's gravitational pull is the same around the globe. So why isn't the moons orbit a circle instead of being elliptical?
The Earth and Moon orbit a common centre of gravity which because of the relative mass of the two objects lies inside the Earths circumference, seen from a distance this would make the Earth appear to wobble, the Moon like most moons and planets orbits on a path that is almost but not quite circular. Finaly because the Moons sidereal rotation is gravitationaly locked (it always keeps the same side towards the Earth) the coservation of angular momentum forces the moon into a higher orbit. Right I've run out rubbish about the moon, I'm gonna crawl back under my rock.

The Earth only has one known moon, Cruithne is in an eccentric orbit around the Sun which makes it appear to be in orbit around the Earth at certain times of the year. According to QI the one thing you can definately say about the show is that it is often wrong.
They had one episode where they gave back points for previously wrong answers. Alan gained many many points, as did 2 of the other guests (jo brand + ?)… and then there was another panellist - 1st time on… who still had to start on nothing!

Iirc it’s the usual bell curve of now wrong answers versus time. Something like 80% from series A

This new telescope is amazing.

View attachment 49800
I love that image and it made me laugh, but on a serious note, the telescope has the ability to analyse the composition of the atmospheres of exoplanets when they pass in front of their suns.

It's mind blowing when you consider SETI has been scouring the heavens for signs of life from the detection of radio waves for decades without success, but this new telescope can detect chlorophyll or chemicals that are the result of industrial pollution on planets far away from us, and there are thousands to look at in detail.

The resolution of the mirror is so advanced, it can look further back in time than the Hubble telescope. Hubble took a blurry picture of a galaxy that is 13.6 billion years old, the oldest thing ever to be seen in the cosmos, and formed just a few hundred million years after the creation of the universe.

This new telescope can focus on that blurry image, and see past it. It's possible pictures will be taken of the very first stars that formed just 100 million years after the big bang.

The discoveries it will make over the coming years will advance our knowledge of the universe faster than anything we have had in the past.

Ducks on Jupiter may be a little far fetched, but if there is life out there, we now have the capability of finding it.

It's an exciting time for space buffs like me.

I love that image and it made me laugh, but on a serious note, the telescope has the ability to analyse the composition of the atmospheres of exoplanets when they pass in front of their suns.

It's mind blowing when you consider SETI has been scouring the heavens for signs of life from the detection of radio waves for decades without success, but this new telescope can detect chlorophyll or chemicals that are the result of industrial pollution on planets far away from us, and there are thousands to look at in detail.

The resolution of the mirror is so advanced, it can look further back in time than the Hubble telescope. Hubble took a blurry picture of a galaxy that is 13.6 billion years old, the oldest thing ever to be seen in the cosmos, and formed just a few hundred million years after the creation of the universe.

This new telescope can focus on that blurry image, and see past it. It's possible pictures will be taken of the very first stars that formed just 100 million years after the big bang.

The discoveries it will make over the coming years will advance our knowledge of the universe faster than anything we have had in the past.

Ducks on Jupiter may be a little far fetched, but if there is life out there, we now have the capability of finding it.

It's an exciting time for space buffs like me.
It was a little tongue in cheek on my part.

I studied physics to A level and maintain an amateur, yet excited interest in what we are finding, what we are improving and what we will continue to find out.

”Aliens” must exist, whether at microbe or Death Star level.

it’s utterly mind blowing what they are showing us. we’ll to me anyway.

Because its made of cheese. Ffs, didn't you learn anyfink at school?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.