General Videogame Thread

I'm not particularly fussed on graphics getting better at this point.

I want better AI. Take an F1 game for example where the car looks the dogs bollocks, the track is a picture perfect recreation and on the outset it looks like the real thing. But come the racing, the drivers you're up against don't put up any sort of fight. No blocking, no saving their ERS energy to defend their position etc. Then their pit stop strategies are all preset and don't adapt to the unfolding race etc.

You quickly come to realise that it's nothing like the real thing. The human touch and the ingenuity are gone and the only person who really makes anything change in the race is the one car you're racing in. Once that reality sets in it's hard to get excited.

I want better AI. Take an F1 game for example where the car looks the dogs bollocks, the track is a picture perfect recreation and on the outset it looks like the real thing. But come the racing, the drivers you're up against don't put up any sort of fight. No blocking, no saving their ERS energy to defend their position etc. Then their pit stop strategies are all preset and don't adapt to the unfolding race etc.

You quickly come to realise that it's nothing like the real thing. The human touch and the ingenuity are gone and the only person who really makes anything change in the race is the one car you're racing in. Once that reality sets in it's hard to get excited.

Can see major AI improvements with the next gen consoles. It is needed, AI with more intelligence would change the gaming experience. It’s like FIFA, I used to love career mode but I find it to easy these days and end up shelving the game after about a month of play time.

The one that got me was towards the end of playing Skyrim. At that point I was basically about as powerful as it's possible to be, walking around in a suit of armour that made me look like the terminator, and you'd still get someone with a knife come up to you and try and mug you. But for me, the thing that still needs to improve the most is the writing. So often it's just absolutely shite, adolescent wank. It's incredible the number of characters you meet in game worlds whose entire characterisation could be summed up as 'macho bellend.'

Can see major AI improvements with the next gen consoles. It is needed, AI with more intelligence would change the gaming experience. It’s like FIFA, I used to love career mode but I find it to easy these days and end up shelving the game after about a month of play time.
AI isn't getting better tbh, because the money is in online gaming. Most career modes on sports games are worse than they were 10 years ago, because there is no money in people playing the computer. They'd rather you were in UT modes spending extra money, so just haven't put any effort into improving offline gameplay. I honestly don't expect it to get much better on the next gen consoles as I really don't see the hardware as being the thing holding them back

The one that got me was towards the end of playing Skyrim. At that point I was basically about as powerful as it's possible to be, walking around in a suit of armour that made me look like the terminator, and you'd still get someone with a knife come up to you and try and mug you. But for me, the thing that still needs to improve the most is the writing. So often it's just absolutely shite, adolescent wank. It's incredible the number of characters you meet in game worlds whose entire characterisation could be summed up as 'macho bellend.'

To be fair, its impressive how many people you'd meet in the real world who's entire characterisation can also be summed up as 'macho bellend'. Try half of the blokes down the printworks on a Friday night ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

AI isn't getting better tbh, because the money is in online gaming. Most career modes on sports games are worse than they were 10 years ago, because there is no money in people playing the computer. They'd rather you were in UT modes spending extra money, so just haven't put any effort into improving offline gameplay. I honestly don't expect it to get much better on the next gen consoles as I really don't see the hardware as being the thing holding them back

Sadly you're absolutely right. And unless that changes I can see my interest in gaming dropping off even more. It'll certainly be the first time I haven't got a PlayStation after pretty much owning the collection* so far.

PlayStation, Fat PS2, Slim PS2, Fat PS3, Slightly portly PS3, PS4 and PS4 Pro. I think the only ones missing are the little PsOne and the weird PS3 with the manual disc loading door.

Sadly you're absolutely right. And unless that changes I can see my interest in gaming dropping off even more. It'll certainly be the first time I haven't got a PlayStation after pretty much owning the collection* so far.

PlayStation, Fat PS2, Slim PS2, Fat PS3, Slightly portly PS3, PS4 and PS4 Pro. I think the only ones missing are the little PsOne and the weird PS3 with the manual disc loading door.

Tbh, its why I enjoy games these days that concentrate on immersive worlds or just excellent gameplay. Mario Odyssey, Zelda Breath of the Wild for example. AI in those games doesn't have to be incredible, as its such a joy to run around and simply exist in them. Sporting simulations and games like FIFA just seem tedious as fuck to me these days. Feels like they've not moved on from ten years ago at all. I just can't be arsed. I'd rather play God of War or The Last of Us, or even Red Dead Redemption 2 or something. Just beautiful places to get lost in, with some good writing. There's loads of great indie games on the Switch too that have provided me with immense amounts of fun.

I know what you’re saying but F1 2019 is better than previous versions for AI.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.