General Wrestling Thread

Aries is going back to ROH, officially.

Would have been nice to see him in NXT/WWE but a Jay Lethal/Austin Aries feud will do well. He could be the first 3 time ROH Champ, there's your angle.

If you speak to wrestling fans these days and ask them who are the greatest wrestlers who ever lived, the answers generally come back with things like Chris Benoit, Bret Hart and Daniel Bryan. These are all objectively wrong answers. The possible answers are Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin and Ric Flair. Because the point of wrestling is to draw money and not to make a tiny subsection of the fanbase dazzled with your wonderful work rate. It's also why the Young Bucks may as well call themselves The Indie Superstars Who Will Never Draw Big Money.

This is where you and I will disagree again. You can't say that Benoit, Hart and Bryan are wrong answers. If I thought Bryan was the best of the last 20 years then that's my answer. I might base it on the fact that he supposedly fought the odds, was a small guy in a big guys world, David v Goliath, and for a time, he won, he beat the odds. Now, you might see through that story line with your massive in depth knowledge and your finger on the pulse but the average wrestling viewer, the market audience, the young teen, perhaps wouldn't. That's not a "tiny subsection of the fan base" but a huge one. I would suggest that you are the tiny subsection.

Anyway, Bryan made money for the company, fucking loads of it, he sold t-shirts by the warehouse.

By your reckoning Cena is the greatest of his generation and most wrestling fans are idiots. It's these "idiots" who pay the money, week in and week out, to make the WWE what it is today.

There is nothing wrong with Sean talking about "movesets" either as this is what the normal fan sees. As a normal fan I don't pull apart every minute detail like you do, I watch it to be entertained. Sure I like all the added bits, the back stories, the build ups, the feuds etc etc and I could scour the internet to fill in all the gaps but I don't as a) I have a life and B) I can't be fucking arsed.

One final thing about a wonderful work rate.

As a fan going back countless years I have always appreciated wrestlers who go at it in the ring. Energy catches the eye. It's probably why I have never cared much for Flair (plus he did that stupid flip into and over the corner and waited a second to fall to the floor face first when hit) and did/ do like Bryan, Jericho, Ziggler, Edge, Christian, Jeff Hardy etc etc because they looked like "busy cunts".

You can't say that Benoit, Hart and Bryan are wrong answers.

You can absolutely say that they are wrong answers because "best" is a measurable number and not a subjective idea. The number is dollars drawn and those 3 absolutely pale in comparison to Hogan, Flair and Austin. Cena too.

Now, you might see through that story line with your massive in depth knowledge and your finger on the pulse but the average wrestling viewer, the market audience, the young teen, perhaps wouldn't. That's not a "tiny subsection of the fan base" but a huge one. I would suggest that you are the tiny subsection.

You've tried to be too smart for your own good by flipping around a phrase I used and have come off backwards. The tiny subsection of the fanbase are the ones who care about movesets and workrate. You know that I mean that and not what you're implying because I literally said that.

By your reckoning Cena is the greatest of his generation and most wrestling fans are idiots. It's these "idiots" who pay the money, week in and week out, to make the WWE what it is today.

Cena is the greatest of his generation and as he is by far the biggest drawing of his generation then it's clear that most wrestling fans are handing money over to watch him. So no, they aren't idiots, they're the exact metric we're using to determine best.

There is nothing wrong with Sean talking about "movesets" either as this is what the normal fan sees. As a normal fan I don't pull apart every minute detail like you do, I watch it to be entertained. Sure I like all the added bits, the back stories, the build ups, the feuds etc etc and I could scour the internet to fill in all the gaps but I don't as a) I have a life and B) I can't be fucking arsed.

I don't pull apart every detail and in fact if you actually read my post I was mocking people who do this.

And you have 22,000 posts on an internet forum, calls of "well I have a life so I can't read a news page" don't exact resonate

As a fan going back countless years I have always appreciated wrestlers who go at it in the ring. Energy catches the eye. It's probably why I have never cared much for Flair (plus he did that stupid flip into and over the corner and waited a second to fall to the floor face first when hit) and did/ do like Bryan, Jericho, Ziggler, Edge, Christian, Jeff Hardy etc etc because they looked like "busy cunts".

And none of them could actually draw 1/100th of the money that Flair did.

Best is subjective. In your head it's equates to most money generated for the company and in my head it's who I like. Most wrestling fans will always differ on who is/ was the best. I think Cena wouldn't be in anyone's top 5, you think he might. Fair enough. I like to think Taker would be in mine. I doubt he'd be in yours. HBK would be in mine, probably not in yours. I might include Mankind just because he's my favourite Foley.

Surely you don't really think like this? Best = most money generated? Deep down, beneath the stoic exterior, there lies a heart Damo, a heart that enjoys wrestling for what it is...entertainment that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

So...

Your top 5?

I like John cena. I liked hulk hogan. I liked ultimate warrior and bret hart. I think Randy Orton is one of the best things going and I like hhh. I liked yokozuna and of course loved davey boy Smith. I liked Legion of doom and looked forward to the dudleys getting the tables. I like sting undertaker and the Hardy boys. I like Austin Booker t and Mr Anderson. I like the rock rey rey and the giant. Not sure where I fit on this wrestling fan scale.

I like John cena. I liked hulk hogan. I liked ultimate warrior and bret hart. I think Randy Orton is one of the best things going and I like hhh. I liked yokozuna and of course loved davey boy Smith. I liked Legion of doom and looked forward to the dudleys getting the tables. I like sting undertaker and the Hardy boys. I like Austin Booker t and Mr Anderson. I like the rock rey rey and the giant. Not sure where I fit on this wrestling fan scale.

You know fuck all loser ;)

Booker T? I'll raise you Mr Kennedy. Kennedy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.