General Wrestling Thread

The reality era is a term that pseudo-marks have invented to explain their really poor understanding of wrestling and how it works as a show. This isn't really about you to be honest but is just a general frustration about the state of wrestling fandom, especially in the new generation of wrestling fans who would be early college age.

This massive overanalysis of wrestling has disconnected them ironically from the reality of the show and instead they live in a world which has invented rules, which of course wrestling always breaks because they aren't playing by the same rules. I personally blame Dave Meltzer for this and was posting on message boards when he was just a knobhead with a newsletter that everybody used to laugh at for getting shit wrong on a daily basis and blowing Ric Flair like he was his personal whore. Now apparently he's this accurate reporter who people should listen to and appreciate his stolen star rating system. In reality he's a weeaboo who prints whatever he is told to print by people with agendas.

But this idea that the pseudo-marks have gotten about wrestling comes almost entirely from his influence. Let me explain exactly what I mean in the form of an analogy.

If you speak to wrestling fans these days and ask them who are the greatest wrestlers who ever lived, the answers generally come back with things like Chris Benoit, Bret Hart and Daniel Bryan. These are all objectively wrong answers. The possible answers are Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin and Ric Flair. Because the point of wrestling is to draw money and not to make a tiny subsection of the fanbase dazzled with your wonderful work rate. It's also why the Young Bucks may as well call themselves The Indie Superstars Who Will Never Draw Big Money.

Now, ask yourself these questions:

1. Is Finn Balor now in a position to draw more money because of this match?

2. Is Kevin Owens now in a position to draw less money because of this match?

The answer to 1 is yes, Finn Balor has been legitimized onscreen as a rising star who people should pay attention to. The answer to number 2 is no, because Kevin Owens is currently IN A FUCKING PROGRAM WITH THE BIGGEST STAR OF THE PAST 15 YEARS and a single loss on the WWE Network in some Japanese house show isn't going to matter because next week he again gets to stand next to THE BIGGEST STAR OF THE PAST 15 YEARS.

It's like those complete morons who argued that Bray Wyatt shouldn't have lost to Taker at WM or shouldn't have been in a program with him. This would be the program that put him front and centre on TV and gave him 10 minutes of mic time every RAW leading up to WM, only to face off against the biggest legend in the industry in his once a year showing on the biggest possible stage. Oh yeah I'm sure he was gutted at that.

Single wins and losses do not matter. They didn't matter even when people thought that this was real, they matter even less now. What matters is whether you are been promoted and given time to show your character to a global audience and get yourself over/in a position to start drawing some money. Nobody gives a shit who wins and loses and nobody ever has.
The iwc (and i realise we're both part of it) do my nut with some of the things i read. Meltzer and things like bleacher report, whatculture, cageside seats, the writers don't know what they are talking about much of the time and are continuously corrected in the comments.

Regards balor v owens, said it before but apart from kofi getting battered by Brock then given all the background this was the most predictable result. Big kev carries on feuding with Cena and the irishman wins the belt in his second home then carries it for a while before moving up to raw later in the year. It's obvious that there is big plans for both.

Just watching it now, pretty good 30 minute Iron man tag match on TNA; Dirty heels vs the Wolves.

Finish was a bit "meh" but some great exchanges, disappointed Roode and Aries won't be a tag team anymore. They're pretty spectacular at living up to their name the "Dirty Heels".

Also great to see EC3 as Champ, easily up there with the best in the business right now imo.

Don't know why tna gets such a bad rep it's consistently good and has great talent. Seth rollins tweeted congrats to ec3 after he beat angle the other day. The gfw invasion angle that's rumoured could be cool.

Looking forward to ultima lucha, know it was filmed in April but I've avoided dirtsheets and mil muertes v Prince puma should be excellent.

I look at what HHH has managed to do with NXT in 2-3 years, and compare it to what Dixie Carter has managed to do with TNA in 10 years. Sums up why TNA has failed.
Dixie doesn't know wrestling and to be fair she's stepped back (after bully ray put her through a table last yr) but the fact of the matter is this; good as nxt is they are rehashing stuff. Like enzo and cass with the SAWFT thing, it's the new age outlaws. Hogan and bischoff set tna back years, there is so much potential for better.

Dixie doesn't know wrestling and to be fair she's stepped back (after bully ray put her through a table last yr) but the fact of the matter is this; good as nxt is they are rehashing stuff. Like enzo and cass with the SAWFT thing, it's the new age outlaws. Hogan and bischoff set tna back years, there is so much potential for better.

everything in wrestling is rehashed, what works, works.

Just a shame TNA got their hands on Angle.

everything in wrestling is rehashed, what works, works.

Just a shame TNA got their hands on Angle.
That's true enough. Superstar Billy Graham, nature boy buddy Rogers, jesse ventura, gorgeous George, jay "Black machismo" lethal!

Why is it a shame angle works for tna? He's had a great run with them.

Roode/Aries at Destination X 2012 was as good a title match as you'll see. Pretty solid PPV overall looking back at it, stellar "second half".

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.