Generation rent

Boomers having the times of their lives, btl and now the bubble has been proped up by the help to buy loans which is going to burst.

Builders have been whacking prices up on new builds knowing that people using help to buy have to accept their prices. It's like buying a beemer on finance but working at McDonald's.

I have a good deposit waiting, just need to wait for the huge btl sell off that is coming and pounce. Boris will do some damage in October.

You seen the rent yields in Manchester now compared to London, you make more up here in the city centre no wonder Worsley web is a happy man.

I accept BTL is one reason but surely the main reason is simple demand. Back in the 70's everyone lived at home with mum and dad until they got married. The couple then bought their own home and lived together for 60 years. Now everyone moves out as soon as they can, usually to a flat, they get married or live together and when they divorce they both need a house/flat, throw in an ever increasing population and the demand forces the prices up.

I also remember back in the 80's the media used to bang on about how it was daft to tie up all your money in property, we should be like Germany where 75% rent. Now that 75% are renting the media and everyone else is moaning.

Just just need to compare census data from 2001 to 2011, renting more than doubled almost everywhere, so less of the stock available to buy which has increased the demand.

Most places are still 65% to 70% home ownership here, and people who own the homes are living longer, another thing that has increased prices for those that are available.

In north west Europe renting is still more common but the rents are more reasonable so no one minds as much.

Two pages in and no one's blamed it on trump/brexit.

Why would anyone blame them lol the housing market has been a bubble for 2 decades now. More women working / working couples bumped prices up too as people suddenly had alot more financial clout and could buy better houses.

Aren't most btl owned by people in their 60s and over who had the best pensions, savings and cheap houses to utilise growing up.

Why would anyone blame them lol the housing market has been a bubble for 2 decades now. More women working / working couples bumped prices up too as people suddenly had alot more financial clout and could buy better houses.

Aren't most btl owned by people in their 60s and over who had the best pensions, savings and cheap houses to utilise growing up.
Taking the piss mate - there is a certain type that would blame getting a bad pint or a shopping trolley with a squeaky wheel on trump/brexit. The current housing situation has been a long time in the making. Mrs T flogging the social housing stock and creating the aspiration to home ownership for all has its positives, but has created issues. Borrowing has also been at record low levels in terms of cost and record high in terms of uptake.

Taking the piss mate - there is a certain type that would blame getting a bad pint or a shopping trolley with a squeaky wheel on trump/brexit. The current housing situation has been a long time in the making. Mrs T flogging the social housing stock and creating the aspiration to home ownership for all has its positives, but has created issues. Borrowing has also been at record low levels in terms of cost and record high in terms of uptake.

No one knows how to save anymore, all in competition with each other on social media.

Feel sorry for us mancs trying to buy local now all the rich southerners are buying in Manchester and driving prices up. A shitty 2 bed terrace in moss side goes for 140k right now!

On a positive note when they're old cunts they won't have houses to rob by the Govt to pay for their care.

Tough for tax payers though.

Why bother saving at current interest rates too?

Perhaps the answer is for youngsters to stop moaning and start saving. I bought my first house in 1982 for £28,500, I had to find the 10% deposit which back then was, like today, virtually impossible,.You could only get a mortgage from the Building Society, banks weren't allowed to do it and you had to save monthly with them for 3 years to prove you had the ability to afford one. Yes save some of your wages !!

We had one holiday a year in the mother in laws caravan as we couldn't afford anything else never mind Las Vegas for a mates stag do as well as 2 weeks in Spain. We didn't spend £50 a month on a mobile phone just so we can tweet a photo of our McDonalds to someone we barely know. There was no such things as new cars on PCP's that are virtually worthless in 2 years time, I had an old Vauxhall Viva and meals out were a rare treat. We were skint but we had a house, now you lot moan you cant afford one as well as everything else you really must have right now because your mates got one.

(Oh and don't start me on designer trainers)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.