Gerry Gow stacking shelves at Tesco...

tolmie's hairdoo

Can't find the link, but today's Mirror has a feature on Gerry Gow, how Bristol City fans have put a benefit dinner and game on for him tonight.

He was one of my earliest heroes, as a six-year-old remember him in the Cup Final and his mad professor hair.

Hard bastard if I recall?, all the same, nice touch by Bristol fans. He doesn't seem bitter about his lot, but might be nice if we could get him up for a game or something?

To take part in the 100th Cup Final, can't take that away from him.

I remember watching a game against Ipswich from the Platt Lane. Their keeper made a save on the line and as I remember it Gerry Gow literally kicked him in the head until he let go of the ball and Gerry tapped it into an empty net

The Ref allowed the goal !

It would be great if we could get him back in 'the fold'. I was lucky enough to work at the club when Bond signed the three Scots lads and Gerry was my favourite. I spoke to him after the semi final against Ipswich at Villa Park - everyone expected Murhen and Tuissen to tear us apart that day and they were quiet - I asked him and he said he just ran up behind them and they got rid of the ball double quick!

He was'nt without skill either - he scored a cracker from outside the box against Norwich I think - it's on one of the DVD's. Top pro.

Gow, Tommy Hutch & Bobby Mac - three great signings at the time. I used to go to school with Gerry's lad Chris and Tommy's daughter Lynn.

Gerry, Tommy & Bobby used to play cards a lot together in the Bluebell in Wilmslow. Can you imagine that nowadays? Walking into your local and seeing De Jong, AJ and Kolarov (trying to think of comparable players) sat playing cards, getting roaring drink and having a giggle with everyone?

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Exclusive-Gerry-Gow-1970s-wild-haired-Bristol-City-hero-now-works-night-shifts-in-Tesco-article831641.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Ex ... 31641.html</a>

EXCLUSIVE: 1970s warrior Gow works nights in Tesco

Mention the name Gerry Gow and Bristol City fans still shiver with pride 30 years on - while old rivals wince about the old Scottish midfield warrior.
Now one of the club’s all-time great players is set for a tribute night to remember as part of the testimonial he missed out on because the Robins had to sell him to survive.
Gow would be a millionaire by now if he was playing today, but instead he works the night shift at a Tesco store in his adopted home of Portland.
But there is no regret in the Glaswegian who is overcome with the warmth of affection that means a sell-out crowd for his ‘night’ on Friday and tributes from Sir Alex Ferguson among others.
Gow said: “I knew I was popular at Bristol City as a player, I knew I was in their hearts, but I didn’t know how much. It’s brilliant.
“I was out of touch for a few years and missed the players and especially the supporters. But then I started doing the odd ‘Evening with’ and now there’s a testimonial year.
“It’s amazing when you meet fans for the first time in years and it feels like you’ve just come off the pitch at the end of a game again.”
Gow was a key part of Bristol City’s golden era in the last 1970s. But they reached too far and he had to go to Manchester City in a fire sale while other players, the infamous ‘Ashton Gate Eight’ had their contracts torn up.
He said: “I had to be sold along with Tom Ritchie and Clive Whitehead or the club would have gone completely. I’m still surprised that people remember. But it was a special time for us.”
Gow has not had much luck since he stopped playing.
He was boss at Yeovil and then drifted out of football before a call from old pal Paul Hart at Portsmouth.
He said: “I was scouting for Paul, really enjoying being back at games. But then they went into admin and we were the first to go.”
Gow has also paid the price for a long and sometimes too social career. He said: “I’ve had a replacement knee put in.
“I went to kick off a charity match a few years ago. I had my boots on and got carried away, so I played for 20 minutes and could barely walk. That was the end for me.
“I’m quite happy working in the supermarket. It doesn’t worry me at all. I was lucky enough to have played and I’m grateful for the time I had.
“It was the best life that anybody could have. It wasn’t a case of being under-paid when I was playing. If I hadn’t enjoyed myself as much off the field and been more sensible I could be sitting pretty now.”
Gow is also loved at Manchester City - despite only a fleeting stay - and veterans from the two clubs are due to meet for a game for him too.
He said: “It would be great to find some of the lads who still manage to play a bit. I think we would all enjoy that one.”

I will be at the dinner for Gerry tonight and I will tell him how the Man City fans still hold him in high regard .
I think Tommy hutch is going to be there as well ,so I will remind him of his two fantastic headers in the 81 cup final.
I will post tomorrow and let you all know how it went.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.