Gerry Gow stacking shelves at Tesco...

dadnlad said:
shock story " exfootballer has a job"

top player
Point being you'd expect most footballers to have put a little money together to open and run their own businesses so they don't have to work 'ordinary' jobs. Franny Lee kinda showed the way on that one.

nobody can eat fifty eggs said:
One of my all time fave players. Apart from big Nige they don't make 'em like that anymore. Did he go to Burnley after City and flop big time? I think their fans recently voted him amongst the worst ever players. Cheeky bastards, for what he did at City for those two seasons was outstanding and it surely must have been a lack of motivation once at Burnley to perform at that high standard again. Hope he benefits well from his night, good luck Gerry.

John Bond took Gow and Tommy Hutch and maybe one or two other ex Blues (Kevin Reeves, I think) to Burnley and sold Trevor Steven, Lee Dixon and other young players. Bond was hated at the club by the fans (still is to this day!)

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
nobody can eat fifty eggs said:
One of my all time fave players. Apart from big Nige they don't make 'em like that anymore. Did he go to Burnley after City and flop big time? I think their fans recently voted him amongst the worst ever players. Cheeky bastards, for what he did at City for those two seasons was outstanding and it surely must have been a lack of motivation once at Burnley to perform at that high standard again. Hope he benefits well from his night, good luck Gerry.

John Bond took Gow and Tommy Hutch and maybe one or two other ex Blues (Kevin Reeves, I think) to Burnley and sold Trevor Steven, Lee Dixon and other young players. Bond was hated at the club by the fans (still is to this day!)

used to go to Burnley 1984 in midweek when City's ex players were there. Donachie,Gow,Hutch,Reeves and Tueart.Bond one of my favourite ever City managers just behind Book.

Little before my time but there's a chapter on him in a City cult heroes book I've got, sounds like he had a major impact at the time!

gordo eddie said:
I will be at the dinner for Gerry tonight and I will tell him how the Man City fans still hold him in high regard .
I think Tommy hutch is going to be there as well ,so I will remind him of his two fantastic headers in the 81 cup final.
I will post tomorrow and let you all know how it went.

Top man, thanks.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
LongsightM13 said:
gordo eddie said:
I will be at the dinner for Gerry tonight and I will tell him how the Man City fans still hold him in high regard .
I think Tommy hutch is going to be there as well ,so I will remind him of his two fantastic headers in the 81 cup final.
I will post tomorrow and let you all know how it went.

I've got relations in Bristol mate, went to uni there as well and have been to Ashton Gate loads of times. Great club.
Not sure I'd mention 'both' headers to Tommy Hutch, mind.
Let Gerry Gow know he is still a hero to blues of a certain age.

huruvo.jpg

286wk8p.jpg

Definitely up for that, I can clearly remember just before the kick off at the 81 final (on the sat) and a deafening roar of Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow , Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow......

rvjcky.jpg

Those pictures bring back some of my earliest memories, thanks for that.

Surely we or the club can make some kind of gesture?

It would be good to hear him, Bobby Mac and Tommy Hutch at an evening with...

Must be some great tales to tell at a supporters' do?

Only played 30-odd games for us, but was a real hero when he was at our club. If you could produce some kind of index for cult status relative to number of appearances, I reckon you'd find very few from any team who'd top Gerry Gow in his time at Maine Road. Made a fantastic impact in that 1980/1 season.

-- Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:16 am --

ClaudioDeyna said:
He was a vital part of that side... he was like a more feral Nigel de Jong with a better shot on him. Much liked too.

That's a great description of him, actually.

-- Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:21 am --

tolmie's hairdoo said:
It would be good to hear him, Bobby Mac and Tommy Hutch at an evening with...

Must be some great tales to tell at a supporters' do?

Back in the early days of the internet and when the concept of Tribal Gathering was taking shape, the first one was held in November 1997, based around the home game with Bradford City (dark days, but we took three points from that game through Tony Vaughan's injury time winner).

Anyway, the Friday night 'do' that year was organised by Don Price at the P&W branch, and he managed to get Gow, Tommy Hutch and Bobby Mac together for it. Sadly I couldn't make it- it was the only TG of the first several that I didn't manage to attend - but there are a few accounts here: http://mcivta.com/mcivta/3/49.html. Remember people at the time saying it had been a great night.

I agree - would be good to get the three of them together again now for a similar event.

Think the club role out legends of the past , who maybe won something but the club had alot of legends who have played a massive part in the clubs history. Its ok to heap praise on the likes of kinky and the goat but players i would like to see the club ,pay homage to the likes of

Gow
Ian bishop
Kev horlock
Nicky Reid ( i know )

just to name a couple

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.