Gibson's Green - Maine Road

This is a lovely gesture from the Club. It shows that we have good people in whatever roles are involved in deciding upon these things that haven't forgotten the Clubs roots. I think this is really important.

I had the fortune and pleasure to meet Stan and his family when i was very young. My Old Fella and I used to travel to home games and occasionally stay over night at a hotel that The Gibsons would frequent on a Saturday night for a diner dance. We were introduced to Stan and he invited us to come down to Maine Road early before the next home game and he'd show us around the ground and introduce us to players. True to his word, a fortnight later, I was shown around Maine Road, allowed to wander across his hallowed turf and meet the players and management (I remember Brian Horton and Uwe Rosler, in particular, as being really nice blokes). The players used to arrive at the corner of the Kippax and Platt Lane end and walk around the pitch to enter down the tunnel. Tony Coton was late, I remember, and came jogging across the pitch as a short cut. Stan was not happy and shouted at him to get off his grass!

Through Stan, we also got to know Janice a little. And, to echo everything that has already been said, what a lovely lady. We bumped into her leaving Wembley after the League Cup final this year. We said hello, but I'm not convinced she remembered us.

People like Stan and Janice are the types of people that make a football club a club and not just a business or franchise. It's great that City have honoured Stan and not forgotten the contribution that he made to our history. I would really like to think that we still have characters like Stan and Janice around now, so that we maintain the "club" feel to our football club.

Just thought it worth a mention. I've just walked over and had a look at this. There is still building work going on immediately next to it and so it's fenced off. You can still look through the metal fencing but might be worth waiting until the building work is completed and the fence removed.

dennishasdoneit said:
dansbiglog said:
The Goat 10 said:
You've got to love our brilliant club haven't you?

I remember Janice well, always eager to help in the old souvenir shop with a big smile. She held a role at the current store when there was a cafe on the second-floor a few years back, not sure what it was though.

Think it was a ham roll

with salad
Actually, it was a barm

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.