Gillette Proglide blades v wetshave razors..

Looks like a decent company.
Unfortunately they (and other companies) are out of the Merkur 34c (which I set my eyes on) but after a bit of research I think the Muhle R89 will be a fine first safety razor.
My kids got me the badger brush & nice bowl so I just need the razor, blades & soap.
Bit of excitement in a shit year....

Reading the reviews it seems a good choice, but don't tighten it too hard or the thread may shear

Reading the reviews it seems a good choice, but don't tighten it too hard or the thread may shear
Did that come from some of the reviews?
Thanks for pointing that out. Might order it tomorrow.

One other thing
I have the wooden bowl & know they may be prone to warping (though can be waxed every six months or so).
Better off with a cream rather than a soap at this stage?

thanks.

Treated myself to a Muhle R89 and feather blades with a few items of 'paraphernalia' items.
Wasn't entirely sure what post shave balm I needed so skipped that (alum block, witch hazel, lotions etc) but grabbed some Bulldog aftershave balm as only £5.

Nicely weighted razor...a little bit of theatrical entertainment in these darn times...

r89_rose_gold_safety_razor__31330.1382542748.jpg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-02-10 at 12.49.04.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-02-10 at 12.49.04.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 10
Treated myself to a Muhle R89 and feather blades with a few items of 'paraphernalia' items.
Wasn't entirely sure what post shave balm I needed so skipped that (alum block, witch hazel, lotions etc) but grabbed some Bulldog aftershave balm as only £5.

Nicely weighted razor...a little bit of theatrical entertainment in these darn times...

r89_rose_gold_safety_razor__31330.1382542748.jpg
Looks a nice bit of kit that pal. Hope you bought a styptic pencil for all those nicks: )

Looks a nice bit of kit that pal. Hope you bought a styptic pencil for all those nicks: )
Just had my first shave with it.
Did get a few v minor niche but first time probably expected. Also using the blade that came with the razor (Muhle) rather than the feathers.
Smooth as hell though abd the cedar wood cream is ‘gorgeous’.
Love the process and I’m sure it will get quicker once I run through it a few times.

Reminded me of my dad when I as a kid (and grandad) as they both used this type of razor, brush & cream.
Bit of an emotional journey (am I over selling this?) and I’m hooked.

Just had my first shave with it.
Did get a few v minor niche but first time probably expected. Also using the blade that came with the razor (Muhle) rather than the feathers.
Smooth as hell though abd the cedar wood cream is ‘gorgeous’.
Love the process and I’m sure it will get quicker once I run through it a few times.

Reminded me of my dad when I as a kid (and grandad) as they both used this type of razor, brush & cream.
Bit of an emotional journey (am I over selling this?) and I’m hooked.
Regards "getting quicker "
Do not rush. If you do you will end up slicing your face
Always take your time

Regards "getting quicker "
Do not rush. If you do you will end up slicing your face
Always take your time
First time with a few v minor nicks.
Didn't buy an alum block in the end but perhaps I should've as I get used to the process.
Perhaps it was the supplied blade (Muhle) rather than the Feathers I purchased.

I can see why some would by the Feather razor at £170 now....it's a one off payment, blades are cheap and it's just a lovely experience...and they are few and far between at the moment.

Did see an amazing Muhle rose gold brush to match my razor....later on in the year perhaps.

muhle-de-safety-razor-shaving-set-traditional-rosegold-silvertip-badger_1200x1200.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.