Given Staying At City

I very much doubt RSC will be in the 25 man squad so if he goes or stays really doesn't matter because he won't be playing much either way.

Why?

From another thread:

1 Shay Given
2 Joe Hart
3 Stuart Taylor
4 Aleksandar Kolarov
5 Jerome Boateng
6 Joleon Lescott
7 Wayne Bridge
8 Micah Richards
9 Kolo Toure
10 Pablo Zabaleta
11 Adam Johnson
12 David Silva
13 Gareth Barry
14 James Milner
15 Patrick Vieira
16 Yaya Toure
17 Nigel de Jong
18 Vincent Kompany
19 Shaun Wright-Phillips
20 Emmanuel Adebayor
21 Carlos Tevez

Felipe Caicedo
Jo
Robinho
Roque Santa Cruz
Kelvin Etuhu
Michael Johnson
Shaleum Logan

With Robinho out and Jo and Caicedo probably in that would mean that two out of Etuhu, Johnson and Logan would have to beat out Santa Cruz. With the number of games ahead of us, I think I would take the guy who scored a goal every other game for Blackburn on the chance he can turn things around. The reason everyone assumes he is out of the 25 is everyone assumes he is leaving for Italy. If he is not he should get as good a shot as Jo....

1fingerwillie said:
I very much doubt RSC will be in the 25 man squad so if he goes or stays really doesn't matter because he won't be playing much either way.

Why?

From another thread:

1 Shay Given
2 Joe Hart
3 Stuart Taylor
4 Aleksandar Kolarov
5 Jerome Boateng
6 Joleon Lescott
7 Wayne Bridge
8 Micah Richards
9 Kolo Toure
10 Pablo Zabaleta
11 Adam Johnson
12 David Silva
13 Gareth Barry
14 James Milner
15 Patrick Vieira
16 Yaya Toure
17 Nigel de Jong
18 Vincent Kompany
19 Shaun Wright-Phillips
20 Emmanuel Adebayor
21 Carlos Tevez

Felipe Caicedo
Jo
Robinho
Roque Santa Cruz
Kelvin Etuhu
Michael Johnson
Shaleum Logan

With Robinho out and Jo and Caicedo probably in that would mean that two out of Etuhu, Johnson and Logan would have to beat out Santa Cruz. With the number of games ahead of us, I think I would take the guy who scored a goal every other game for Blackburn on the chance he can turn things around. The reason everyone assumes he is out of the 25 is everyone assumes he is leaving for Italy. If he is not he should get as good a shot as Jo....
Clearly he is not rated as highly as Jo and when you have a fixed squad you really can't afford someone thats going to miss half the season.

Jo is younger and had an ever so slightly goal per game avg at Moscow than RSC had at Blackburn. They both have been flops at City, so I am not sure that Jo really is that much better...

That's not really the point though.

you really can't afford someone thats going to miss half the season.

In fact you can quite easily afford it if you don't have anyone else worth adding to the squad. Which two of the following would be a better choice than RSC:

Kelvin Etuhu
Michael Johnson
Shaleum Logan

I have no problem not including him...but those are the three he is competing with and they are not so impressive.

Aren't Etuhu, Johnson and Logan all classed as home-grown ? Surely each have been at City long enough to qualify? (3 years before their 21st b'day)

Sorry if this is covered in another thread

Aren't Etuhu, Johnson and Logan all classed as home-grown ?

Its not an issue of homegrown. We have easily met the required 8 homegrown quota. The issue is there are only 25 spots for players above the age of 21...so the question is who would you rather have on your team eligible for play in the prem: two of the above youngsters or RSC. I personally would go with RSC.

1fingerwillie said:

Why?

From another thread:

1 Shay Given
2 Joe Hart
3 Stuart Taylor
4 Aleksandar Kolarov
5 Jerome Boateng
6 Joleon Lescott
7 Wayne Bridge
8 Micah Richards
9 Kolo Toure
10 Pablo Zabaleta
11 Adam Johnson
12 David Silva
13 Gareth Barry
14 James Milner
15 Patrick Vieira
16 Yaya Toure
17 Nigel de Jong
18 Vincent Kompany
19 Shaun Wright-Phillips
20 Emmanuel Adebayor
21 Carlos Tevez

Felipe Caicedo
Jo
Robinho
Roque Santa Cruz
Kelvin Etuhu
Michael Johnson
Shaleum Logan

22 Felipe Caicedo
23 Jo
24 Robinho
Roque Santa Cruz
Kelvin Etuhu
25 Michael Johnson

That's who I'd pick, but if Robinho goes then we may as well splash out on another striker whilst we can (and if we can)

yeah if robbie goes ideally we pick up a top flight striker but i don't know if we have the time. If you believe Milan Robbie is already gone...if thats true, and RSC decides to give it a go with City I think you have to give him a chance. We are thin up top and will only get thinner when ade leaves in January.

Guardian: Shay Given chooses to stay at Manchester City and

I see no quotes though. :-|

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/30/shay-given-stays-manchester-city?CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... CMP=twt_gu</a>

Shay Given chooses to stay at Manchester City and fight for No1 place
• Goalkeeper persuaded to take himself off market
• Robinho expected to complete move to Milan

Shay Given has decided to stay at Manchester City, turning down the chance to rejoin his former manager Mark Hughes at Fulham, after being persuaded to remove himself from the market on the eve of the transfer window deadline.

Given had initially reacted to losing his place to Joe Hart by informing City's manager, Roberto Mancini, that he wanted to leave the club. That immediately alerted Fulham, who have been looking for a goalkeeper so they can allow Mark Schwarzer to join Arsenal.

Since then, however, Given has had a series of meetings with Mancini and the club's football administrator, Brian Marwood, and slowly come round to the idea that he should stay in Manchester and try to dislodge Hart. That, in turn, threatens Arsenal's hopes of signing Schwarzer, with Hughes having already gone on record to say he would allow the deal to happen only if he had a replacement lined up.

Given has based his decision on the fact he joined City in the hope that he could win the first trophy of his career and that, by leaving for a smaller club, he could effectively be passing over that chance. He had also worried that he might jeopardise his place in the Republic of Ireland team but the manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, has assured him that is not the case.

City are involved in four competitions and Given was assured the club are taking them all seriously and that, at the very least, there will be opportunities for him to play in the Carling Cup and Europa League Mancini, who described him as being among Europe's five best goalkeepers last season, has made it clear he does not want to lose him.

After spending £126m this summer City will not be heavily involved on the final day of the transfer window, although Robinho is expected to complete his move to Milan almost two years to the day since becoming the most expensive player in English football.

Mino Raiola, an Italian agent acting on a mandate from Milan, arrived in Manchester today to discuss the deal. Raoila has spent the summer negotiating Mario Balotelli's move to City and Zlatan Ibrahimovic's to Milan and will spend tomorrow trying to arrange a fee for Robinho, the asking price being in the region of £18m with potential add-ons.

Roque Santa Cruz, another big-money signing who has endured a difficult time in Manchester, is giving serious thought to staying at City despite a loan offer from Lazio. The £17m signing from Blackburn Rovers is said to have reservations about leaving England and may reject the chance of playing in Serie A.

Re: Guardian: Shay Given chooses to stay at Manchester City and

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=188189" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=10&t=188189</a>

just so you know :)

Re: Guardian: Shay Given chooses to stay at Manchester City and

lee-mcfc said:
http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=188189

just so you know :)

My bad my bad my bad.... did a search for "Given" in the first page; didn't find any. But did not on the second page.

Sorry folks. Mods, take this one off please...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.