Glastonbury 2019

I find it odd when people use those terms as derogatory ways of describing grime and hip hop but ok. Just ignorance really.

Just because something isn't for you doesn't mean it should be banished to a smaller stage mate. Not sure I'd even be attending either as I've already seen him a couple of times and there's always loads of other choice at glasto, but he's undoubtably a more exciting headline than the usual 3 'white man with guitar' acts they book in all the headline slots.
Nm60ITb.gif

Not sure how you get on the "introducing" stage. My sons band were up for being on it last year but got a reply last year saying they did not have enough followers on social media. Sort of goes against the principle of the "introducing" stage.

The only issue I have with the genre is that 90% of the time its just karaoke or (roll the track) as its cool to say. I would have much more appreciation for them if they got a full band involved rather than just shouting "yo yo gangster possie in da house" (or whatever) over a backing track. Although to be fair to Stormzy I think I saw him on radio 1 live lounge with a band and it sounded good, Hopefully he does the same again at Glasto

Has any rapper even said this since about 1994?! It's from the same school as people who do the 'slightly hunched down, waving the hands about' impression of a rapper. People who aren't into hip hop seem set on the idea of comparing everyone to NWA.

It's such a lazy stereotype of what is a brilliantly diverse genre of music. Kanye West, for example, is about as far away from 'gangster rap' as any musician could ever get.

Has any rapper even said this since about 1994?! It's from the same school as people who do the 'slightly hunched down, waving the hands about' impression of a rapper. People who aren't into hip hop seem set on the idea of comparing everyone to NWA.

It's such a lazy stereotype of what is a brilliantly diverse genre of music. Kanye West, for example, is about as far away from 'gangster rap' as any musician could ever get.

His slot as Glasto was probably one of the worst things ive witnessed / heard.

I find it odd when people use those terms as derogatory ways of describing grime and hip hop but ok. Just ignorance really.

Just because something isn't for you doesn't mean it should be banished to a smaller stage mate. Not sure I'd even be attending either as I've already seen him a couple of times and there's always loads of other choice at glasto, but he's undoubtably a more exciting headline than the usual 3 'white man with guitar' acts they book in all the headline slots.
Kanye West and Jay Z have had years and years of mainstream success so despite them not being everyone's cup of tea, they justified that spot and I think surprised many people.

The reality is Stormzy has had 4 commercially successful (ie popular) singles and featured on a Little Mix song. I just don't see how he stands a chance of entertaining 50k+ people for 2 hours, when its only going to be a minority that have heard any of his other stuff. Its just come way too soon for him.

Some of the backlash is definitely snobbery of that genre of music, and you can stretch a racial justification for that I suppose, but in my opinion he hasn't had the success or the back catalogue to deserve it (at this point in his career).

If they wanted something different to a "white man with a guitar" act as you put it, then Drake or Kendrick would have been more deserving, and would have the back catalogue too.

His slot as Glasto was probably one of the worst things ive witnessed / heard.

Each to their own. Still doesn't make him a 'brap brap ganster man', whatever that means.

Kanye West and Jay Z have had years and years of mainstream success so despite them not being everyone's cup of tea, they justified that spot and I think surprised many people.

The reality is Stormzy has had 4 commercially successful (ie popular) singles and featured on a Little Mix song. I just don't see how he stands a chance of entertaining 50k+ people for 2 hours, when its only going to be a minority that have heard any of his other stuff. Its just come way too soon for him.

Some of the backlash is definitely snobbery of that genre of music, and you can stretch a racial justification for that I suppose, but in my opinion he hasn't had the success or the back catalogue to deserve it (at this point in his career).

If they wanted something different to a "white man with a guitar" act as you put it, then Drake or Kendrick would have been more deserving, and would have the back catalogue too.

He'll have another album out early next year, so there'll be more known material out there before the fest.

Arctic Monkeys were booked with just 1 album out, Coldplay actually played it with only 1 album out. It isn't unprecedented stuff. Pulp played loads of their 'Different Class' album before it even came out in '95 and that went down a storm.

He packed out the other stage to about 50k people in 2017 so it's no stretch to imagine him doing it on the Pyramid with a bigger fanbase and more material next year.

I'm not even a big Stormzy fan, I'd have much preferred Kendrick myself. But I think it's brilliant that they're giving young British talent the push rather than sticking to the same boring Coldplay/Muse/AM rotation of bands, it's bland as fuck. The festival has always been about diversity and Stormzy is very much an of-the-moment, popular and diverse act.

Edit: and just for clarification I can definitely get on board with the argument that he's not big enough yet, that's fair game (though I see it as a positive thing that he's getting the push personally). What I can't get on board with however is the "Brap brap music doesn't belong on the pyramid" brigade. That's just ignorance.

Each to their own. Still doesn't make him a 'brap brap ganster man', whatever that means.

He'll have another album out early next year, so there'll be more known material out there before the fest.

Arctic Monkeys were booked with just 1 album out, Coldplay actually played it with only 1 album out. It isn't unprecedented stuff. Pulp played loads of their 'Different Class' album before it even came out in '95 and that went down a storm.

He packed out the other stage to about 50k people in 2017 so it's no stretch to imagine him doing it on the Pyramid with a bigger fanbase and more material next year.

I'm not even a big Stormzy fan, I'd have much preferred Kendrick myself. But I think it's brilliant that they're giving young British talent the push rather than sticking to the same boring Coldplay/Muse/AM rotation of bands, it's bland as fuck. The festival has always been about diversity and Stormzy is very much an of-the-moment, popular and diverse act.

Edit: and just for clarification I can definitely get on board with the argument that he's not big enough yet, that's fair game (though I see it as a positive thing that he's getting the push personally). What I can't get on board with however is the "Brap brap music doesn't belong on the pyramid" brigade. That's just ignorance.

I think rap in all its variations is fucking tripe but that’s just my personal opinion. What does irk me is “white boys” in their souped up cars playing this shite “music” with the windows wound down blasting it out for all to hear when in reality the rest of us don’t want to hear that shit. Bet you’re one of them!!

I think rap in all its variations is fucking tripe but that’s just my personal opinion. What does irk me is “white boys” in their souped up cars playing this shite “music” with the windows wound down blasting it out for all to hear when in reality the rest of us don’t want to hear that shit. Bet you’re one of them!!
Haha, call it as you see it Hammo!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.