Global Warming

Damocles said:
blueinsa said:
The Earth has had hot and cold periods since its formation yet all of a sudden, we are told its our fault and we have to be taxed for our own good, despite only being on this planet for mere seconds in the grand scheme of things.

Global warming is yet another excuse for governments to tax the shit out of us.

Th Earth has had cooling and warming periods developed over 20,000 years, not developed over 50 years.

Well it wasn't us burning diesel, spraying our lynx deodorants and not efficiently disposing of our fridges 20,000 years ago was it fella?

Damocles said:
blueinsa said:
The Earth has had hot and cold periods since its formation yet all of a sudden, we are told its our fault and we have to be taxed for our own good, despite only being on this planet for mere seconds in the grand scheme of things.

Global warming is yet another excuse for governments to tax the shit out of us.

Th Earth has had cooling and warming periods developed over 20,000 years, not developed over 50 years.

So how is a periodic process that has occurred hundreds/thousands of time before a man made process?

SkyBlueFlux said:
Damocles said:
SkyBlueFlux said:
Well, molecules absorb electromagnetic radiation at different wavelengths. Although I don't know the spectral series for C02 off by heart, having looked it up there is an absorption line in the infra-red range.

So on that basis I do not disagree. The C02 will absorb the radiation and enter an excited state.

What happens to a molecule when it enters the excited state? Would this, by your reckoning, exert heat that would not have been exert if the molecule had not absorbed any extra radiation?

Given enough time it will attempt to return back to a less excited state by emitting electromagnetic waves of energy which corresponds to the difference in that molecules energy levels.

So yes it will emit energy that it would not have emitted if it had not absorbed the infra red to begin with.

Is Damo examining you and marking your paper live on BM? ;-)

Only just seen this thread.

Global warming is an utter big bag of bollocks.

As said by blueinsa above, it's just another excuse for taxation.

Anyways I thought it was now "climate change" rather than "global warming".....

blueinsa said:
SkyBlueFlux said:
Damocles said:
What happens to a molecule when it enters the excited state? Would this, by your reckoning, exert heat that would not have been exert if the molecule had not absorbed any extra radiation?

Given enough time it will attempt to return back to a less excited state by emitting electromagnetic waves of energy which corresponds to the difference in that molecules energy levels.

So yes it will emit energy that it would not have emitted if it had not absorbed the infra red to begin with.

Is Damo examining you and marking your paper live on BM? ;-)

I think he's just trying to systematically point out that this is a basic and well known process in science which people are denying exists.

Well, I hope so anyway because I thought I was done with exams for the year!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.