Global Warming

SkyBlueFlux said:
blueinsa said:
SkyBlueFlux said:
Given enough time it will attempt to return back to a less excited state by emitting electromagnetic waves of energy which corresponds to the difference in that molecules energy levels.

So yes it will emit energy that it would not have emitted if it had not absorbed the infra red to begin with.

Is Damo examining you and marking your paper live on BM? ;-)

I think he's just trying to systematically point out that this is a basic and well known process in science which people are denying exists.

Well, I hope so anyway because I thought I was done with exams for the year!

;-), best of luck with the degree as well fella.

BulgarianPride said:
I don't see how climate change is man made. It is a natural process that has occurred hundreds , maybe thousands of times in earths life cycle. It is definitely not man made, the only valid question is see is what is our contribution? Can we offset the natural process, making it erratically and unstable?

For me there is not enough data. You can't possibly study a process that takes place over thousands of years in just over 100 years. We need data! We can be reaching a peak of a natural temperature increase or just finishing the ice age. Maybe the last 2000 years was abnormally cold weather that is just starting to go back to normal.

Spoken like a true scientist.<br /><br />-- Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:35 pm --<br /><br />
Skashion said:
The qu(;ality of this thread has seriously degenerated.

Would that be BM Nature or Nurture?

global-warming_o_384915.jpg

BulgarianPride said:
Damocles said:
blueinsa said:
The Earth has had hot and cold periods since its formation yet all of a sudden, we are told its our fault and we have to be taxed for our own good, despite only being on this planet for mere seconds in the grand scheme of things.

Global warming is yet another excuse for governments to tax the shit out of us.

Th Earth has had cooling and warming periods developed over 20,000 years, not developed over 50 years.

So how is a periodic process that has occurred hundreds/thousands of time before a man made process?

He is not arguing that it is a man made process, he is arguing that it is a natural process which has been massively accelerated by us. An increase in the rate of change amounting to a 400-fold increase is slightly too big for us to dismiss as 'normal'.

blueinsa said:
SkyBlueFlux said:
blueinsa said:
Is Damo examining you and marking your paper live on BM? ;-)

I think he's just trying to systematically point out that this is a basic and well known process in science which people are denying exists.

Cheers mate, I might need it haha.

SkyBlueFlux said:
Damocles said:
SkyBlueFlux said:
I've come to this debate late I see. But I'll answer the question none-the-less.

Is global warming happening? Absolutely yes. There is no serious debate in science against that as far as I'm aware.

Do we effect/accelerate global warming? Well, yes. Pretty obvious really, we must do, we've proven the greenhouse gas effect, that's not really up for debate either.

You can argue if you want about the degree to which we're accelerating it and how long it will take for things to really take hold. As far as I know, that will depend upon several other factors. If we carry on as we are, we will not avert disaster, if we try to change our way of life we might delay disaster enough for technology to find a solution.

I think it's a lot about people not liking to own up to a difficult truth, but things need to change and we need to take the responsibility to change them. We need to become self-sustainable and we need to become a more environmentally aware species.

So... two pretty easy questions really.

Are you scientifically educated?

I'm going into the 4th year of a masters degree in mathematical physics. Not the right field, but I like to think I have a pretty well rounded knowledge of the sciences in general.

Impressive sounding qualification.

Will Evolution save humanity and people?

SkyBlueFlux said:
BulgarianPride said:
Damocles said:
Th Earth has had cooling and warming periods developed over 20,000 years, not developed over 50 years.

So how is a periodic process that has occurred hundreds/thousands of time before a man made process?

He is not arguing that it is a man made process, he is arguing that it is a natural process which has been massively accelerated by us. An increase in the rate of change amounting to a 400-fold increase is slightly too big for us to dismiss as 'normal'.

blueinsa said:
SkyBlueFlux said:

Cheers mate, I might need it haha.

He probably isn't. But then again the said this to one of my replies.

"definitely not man made" is mental

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.