glory/tourist fans

supercity36 said:
anyone else think that its enevitable as we become bigger we will attract more of these? every big club has them.the sort that boo chelsea for being 1-0 down at HT despite only losing 2 of their last 100. although i know that due to the outlay the owners will want more or these type of fans spending on merchandise and tickets. but i really hope we can keep the family and working class tradition. by no means would i rather us be skint, shit with only loyal fans (ive had that for all my pissing life) but if we were overhauled by the ugg boot-wearing puffs like the one pictured we often take the piss of, i reckon this club could lose the very thing which i fell in love with, its soul.

Thats a bit uggbootphobic of you ;-)

halfcenturyup said:
Of course it's natural we will get hundreds of thousands of new fans and I suspect we will have to if the owners are to meet their targets and we want to meet the UEFA guidelines on spending. But this doesn't have to be bad. What the club needs to do though, is give priortiy to local fans on matchday some how. It's the people that follow the team week in and week out, and have done all their lives, that gives the passion. Compare that to the people United and Chelsea have on marchday for example. I'm sure the owners understand this, I'm just not so sure how they can do it .... any ideas?

So because I come from Northern Ireland, I am less deserving of a ticket for a game than someone from Manchester?
Even though I have been spending a lot of money for years on tickets, that have allowed me quite a lot of loyalty points, there should be some mechanism introduced to allow a local to get a ticket before me even though they were not interested in going to Maine Road to see Grimsby on a Tuesday night etc?

Keep the loyalty points going, they are notd perfect, but it is the fairest way to ensure that those that supported the club in the dark days can keep supporting the club now we look like being sucessful again.

I'll welcome the ones who give a shit about the club but if I ever meet one who goes 'Good win on weekend eh?' when we lost like a number of the scum fans do I'll scream.

My first visit to Maine Rd was as a 6 year old in 1969 - supported the team ever since then but finances (mainly) and location (Near Worcester now) means I can't get to as many matches as I'd like. My 16 year old daughter is also a fan and we go to matches together whenever we can.
What does that make me?

halfcenturyup said:
Of course it's natural we will get hundreds of thousands of new fans and I suspect we will have to if the owners are to meet their targets and we want to meet the UEFA guidelines on spending. But this doesn't have to be bad. What the club needs to do though, is give priortiy to local fans on matchday some how. It's the people that follow the team week in and week out, and have done all their lives, that gives the passion. Compare that to the people United and Chelsea have on marchday for example. I'm sure the owners understand this, I'm just not so sure how they can do it .... any ideas?

Why???

Did you not know there is a whole big world outside of lil ol Manchester and believe it or not, there are blues from all over the country use their hard earned pennies to come and watch City week in week out, and get this.........some even have season tickets.

sneakitawc said:
a wider fan base naturally follows success but doesn't necessarily mean that the newer fans don't care about the club. for me, if city have the ability to either disappoint or elate you then you're more than welcome at eastlands.

Can't agree with this really. Do you really think the tourists at Old Trafford love United.? Do you think they would follow them if they were rubbish? Do you think that pointing a camera at Giggs after he's scored a crucial goal is showing how much they care for the club? People are welcome but I don't want them to be the embarrassment that United "fans" have become.

I really wish a large majority of our fans would get a grip and stop kidding themselves, everyone making out that they were at every game in the dark days!
I have followed city since i was 14 years old (1994) growing up in south west scotland there was no other blues everyone was a rag or celtic rangers fans, my first game was v wimbeldon we won 2-1 gary flitcroft and the kaiser rosler it definatley wasn't a full house that day at main road!

I moved to america in 1998 for 5 years and returned to scotland for 18 momnths before moving to cork i have been to 13 games in the last 5 seasons which unlike some mancs costs considerably more than a bus fare to eastlands, 3 or 4 games a season would pay for a seasoncard (flights hotels, food, beer) whilst living in the states i always kept my eye out for our results and took great pleasure in the rags getting beat, so because i dont live in Gorton or Longsight im supposed to apologise, success breeds new fans and popularity so i say lets welcome all new blues.

World domination = fans all over the globe from sydney to new york to tokyo to Milan to Dublin

here's my tuppence worth of honesty on this thread;

I am scottish/dumfries born and bred with no connection to manchester whatsoever. my scottish club/1st love are a small SPL club called kilmarnock f.c. and my connection there is that my dads side of the family are all from that area of scotland.

moving on to my point about how I came to love the great manchester city. my dad was a fan of the dirty red scousers when a lot of 'jocks' played for them in the 80's. he grew up hating m*n u*d and everything they stood for and then when I came a long he passed the reins on to me. where I come from the MAJORITY of people support either rangers or celtic and my hatred for them combined with my early hate for u*d seemed to go hand in hand as many kids when I was young ran around with rag tops on also.

I hated glory hunters (I still do), I hate people following a trend because it's the 'safe' option and I hate clueless twats that shout about a particular club without actually having any great knowledge of them or indeed going to their games. old firm fans and u*d fans (not all but a lot) both fill this bracket.

I love the underdog and I love supporters that stick with their team through the good times and the bad (you should try watching kilmarnock at the moment for example). I love loud, passionate, colourful supports that never fail to get behind the team on the park..............cue manchester city!

in 1995 (I was 12) I loved oasis and city were seen as quite a 'cool' club you could say, I loved some of city's players (i.e. rosler), I loved the city strip at the time and add that to my above hate for u*d and whole hearted admiration for you lot I fell in love with your club, and the rest as they say is history.

due to following my scottish team week in week it out it took me years to actually make a city game, mostly because nobody would take me and I didnt have any city supporting pals up here. years later I met ricster (who posts on here) and I started going to games when sven took over and have been ever since (I'm on to my 3rd citycard). I am a new fan I suppose but I understand what you lot stand for and altough I didnt go to games through the bad times I still followed city and I was delighted to see the blues rise from the ashes and return to the EPL. sad times but they proved how loyal city fans are!

I have nothing but deep admiration for city fans and I have always been welcomed when I go to eastlands and the surrounding boozers. I wouldnt worry about some of us 'newer' fans because I know the script and I shout and sing as much as the next man. be proud of yourselfs because you are a unique support and you deserve any success that is brought to this great club!

I have used the term 'you' on this thread to give a kind of 'ousiders' point of view and yes it's true you's are as good a support as you's say you are, hence why I am blue.

to end this post I will now say 'we' are the greatest because I am very much a part of your support and it's a privelage. see ya next sunday against pompey!!!!! :)

peace.

C.T.I.D.

South City said:
I was born in Australia and have supported city since i was around 10ish and i would one day love to come to a game in manchester ( iam now 19) but i wouldnt want to be looked down on by other fans because i was a tourist to the area because i realy cant wait until i get the money to come out :s
Well said we welcome everyone we should just turn to any people booing & give them verbal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.