Goal of the Season

Chris in London

Up to now, we have scored 154 goals overall, exactly 100 of them in the premier league. We still have one game to go and might score 5 or might not score any, but now is the time IMHO to start thinking about our goal of the season.

Here is my non-objective, non-scientifically chosen shortlist:

Goal A - Yaya's free kick against Newcastle at home in the league. Representative of a number of similar free kicks of equal quality, this one is shortlisted as it was the first.

Goal B - Sergio's volleyed first against the rags. A fine team move, involving moving the ball nicely around the edge of the rags box, a lovely flick from Nasri into Kolarov's path, a fierce cross and a wonderfully controlled volleyed finish from Sergio. The technical quality of the goal and the importance of the game given the opposition make this a contender.

Goal C - Yaya's curled effort against Pislen away in the Champions League. A beautiful strike from outside the area, curled beyond the 'keeper's reach. Similar to Barclay's recent strike for Everton against us.

Goal D - David Silva away at West Ham in the league. A little back heel from Aguero, a shimmy from Merlin then a powerful curled effort into the top corner. A truly wonderful goal.

Goal E - Negredo's volleyed goal against West Ham in the CoC semi final first leg. A delightful chipped pass from Yaya that the beast ran on to, volleying emphatically into the West Ham net. Brilliant technique.

Goal F - Yaya's brilliant strike in the Capital One Cup final. A fantastic finish in any game, but given the occasion (a cup final) the location (wembley) and the match situation (losing 10 minutes in to the second half) his long range curled effort has to be close to the top of the pile.

Goal G - Dzeko's first away against Everton in the league. Probably not the favourite for the overall title but a headed goal of sublime quality. Milner's cross was slightly behind him, but the header was powerful and well directed. Strikers are taught on grandmother's knee that the best header is one that bounces on the goal line in the corner of the net. Dzeko's effort from 12 yards out is as good a header as you will see. The best headed goal of the season and makes the shortlist for that reason.

Goal H - Yaya's goal on Wednesday night. Again, representative of a number of similar goals. Picking up the ball midway in our own half, charging upfield, evading five Villa defenders for a wonderful finish. As Souness said, reminiscent of the sort of goal a big kid would score in an under 8's game.

So those are my 8 contenders. There are many others I could mention in despatches - Aguero's first away at West Ham (coming after that brilliant dummy from Negredo), some of the 20 pass goals, some wonderful strikes (including some not by Yaya like Dzeko at Cardiff or Aguero against Chelsea) or that brilliant turn by Negredo against Spurs in the league at home.

There are probably some corkers I have forgotten, but those are my choices. My goal of the season is probably Yaya in the cup final, but that's just my view. If I'm wrong, you'll soon let me know. .

Good selection, that, Chris, and I agree with all of your comments.

The thing is about this season that we have scored so many good goals that we need categories.

Individual Goal
Team Goal
Connosseur Goal
Important Goal

It's been that good that I can sort of half-remember goals and can't remember who they were against!

Didsbury Dave said:

The thing is about this season that we have scored so many good goals that we need categories.

Individual Goal
Team Goal
Connosseur Goal
Important Goal

It's been that good that I can sort of half-remember goals and can't remember who they were against!

I know what you mean. So many goals that it has been difficult to remember them all.

Another would be Goal with the best assist - think of Negredo's outrageous outside of the boot pass for Milner (away at Fulham?).

Didsbury Dave said:

Individual Goal
Team Goal
Connosseur Goal
Important Goal

I like to think somewhere in deepest France there's a very classy gentleman who goes by the name of Connosseur Goal.

I: Milner's goal against Fulham in the 4-2 away win after that sublime outside-foot pass from the Beast.
Draw between this one and Aguero's first v the Rags for me mate.

Chris in London said:
Up to now, we have scored 154 goals overall, exactly 100 of them in the premier league. We still have one game to go and might score 5 or might not score any, but now is the time IMHO to start thinking about our goal of the season.

Here is my non-objective, non-scientifically chosen shortlist:

Goal A - Yaya's free kick against Newcastle at home in the league. Representative of a number of similar free kicks of equal quality, this one is shortlisted as it was the first.

Goal B - Sergio's volleyed first against the rags. A fine team move, involving moving the ball nicely around the edge of the rags box, a lovely flick from Nasri into Kolarov's path, a fierce cross and a wonderfully controlled volleyed finish from Sergio. The technical quality of the goal and the importance of the game given the opposition make this a contender.

Goal C - Yaya's curled effort against Pislen away in the Champions League. A beautiful strike from outside the area, curled beyond the 'keeper's reach. Similar to Barclay's recent strike for Everton against us.

Goal D - David Silva away at West Ham in the league. A little back heel from Aguero, a shimmy from Merlin then a powerful curled effort into the top corner. A truly wonderful goal.

Goal E - Negredo's volleyed goal against West Ham in the CoC semi final first leg. A delightful chipped pass from Yaya that the beast ran on to, volleying emphatically into the West Ham net. Brilliant technique.

Goal F - Yaya's brilliant strike in the Capital One Cup final. A fantastic finish in any game, but given the occasion (a cup final) the location (wembley) and the match situation (losing 10 minutes in to the second half) his long range curled effort has to be close to the top of the pile.

Goal G - Dzeko's first away against Everton in the league. Probably not the favourite for the overall title but a headed goal of sublime quality. Milner's cross was slightly behind him, but the header was powerful and well directed. Strikers are taught on grandmother's knee that the best header is one that bounces on the goal line in the corner of the net. Dzeko's effort from 12 yards out is as good a header as you will see. The best headed goal of the season and makes the shortlist for that reason.

Goal H - Yaya's goal on Wednesday night. Again, representative of a number of similar goals. Picking up the ball midway in our own half, charging upfield, evading five Villa defenders for a wonderful finish. As Souness said, reminiscent of the sort of goal a big kid would score in an under 8's game.

So those are my 8 contenders. There are many others I could mention in despatches - Aguero's first away at West Ham (coming after that brilliant dummy from Negredo), some of the 20 pass goals, some wonderful strikes (including some not by Yaya like Dzeko at Cardiff or Aguero against Chelsea) or that brilliant turn by Negredo against Spurs in the league at home.

There are probably some corkers I have forgotten, but those are my choices. My goal of the season is probably Yaya in the cup final, but that's just my view. If I'm wrong, you'll soon let me know. .

Nasri's goal from the same game deserves a mention, both of them are worthy of the goal of the season.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TucNXwKZdNI[/youtube]

Didsbury Dave said:

Individual Goal
Team Goal
Connosseur Goal
Important Goal

Definitely. In terms of importance mixed with a huge dose of 'holy shit', Yaya's at Wembley will be a difficult one to top.

Didsbury Dave said:

Individual Goal
Team Goal
Connosseur Goal
Important Goal

Individual Goal - Yaya v Villa
Team Goal - Aguero v United (home)
Connosseur Goal - Negredo v West Ham (home leg of COC)
Important Goal - Nasri v Sunderland (equaliser, could be a MASSIVE goal come the end of the season)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.