Godzilla (2014) Updated with new trailer.

Faithful to the original godzilla concept and in that respec its a departure from the '97 version & cloverfield, i.e. monster runks amok in NY for no apparent reason.

Visually its amazing, Godzilla at al look fantastic and the city-scapes when they get trashed look awesome too.

After seeing Edwards 'Monsters' when it came out, I was expecting something similar with Godzilla but the character development was none existent for me.

More style over substance, not in a michael bay kind of way, its more nuanced than that with nods to nature/intervention of man as well as nuclear responsibility and conspiracy theory themes running through the film.

a9dw1mZ_460s.jpg

Thaksinssoldier said:
It was completely fucking shite,and I love monster movies going back to the old TOHO gojira movies.

If you make a movie called Godzilla, put him in it for more than 2 mins, and don't have a full hour with no sign of him.

Seriously shite.
It might be called Godzilla but I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

SPOILERS:
The film is about the stupidity and arrogance of the human race with regards to nature and nuclear weapons. The fact that they were trying to destroy the Mutos with the very weapons they thrived off was one example, the other being that the weapons were transported on things that could be easily intercepted, like slow trains. Don't see the humans as the good guys in this, because they're not.

Most people have gone into this film expecting Bryan Cranston to lead a team of scientists against Godzilla and have come away disappointed. The only enemy in the film is the American army. Their confidence in their own stupid plans is there to be laughed at. In the end, the Motus were only there to mate. They're not the enemies like many think. The humans created them through their use of nuclear energy and the humans have to sort out their own mistake.

I thought it was paced brilliantly - having Godzilla come into the film as late as he did was a nice trick. Some seriously flawless CGI as well. And that scene where they jump out of the plane was breathtaking - some shots in that scene were utterly magnificent, all soundtracked by Kubrick's 2001 score as well. It had its problems, like cheesy dialogue and a pretty faulty script, but I enjoyed it overall.

Its message was important and subtle. So subtle it seems some have missed it. But I liked it a fair bit. Just a standard summer blockbuster with a pretty great message that needs to be understood: nukes is bad, yo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.