Going self employed

Sole Trader = Self employed.
Limited company = director AND/OR employee of the business, you're not technically self-employed. A director takes dividends, an employee takes a salary. You have to have at least 1 director (you) and the directors share the profits via dividends normally (i.e shareholders).

The key to becoming LTD depends mainly on two things.

1) Will you be able to work OUTSIDE of IR35 legislation
2) Will you be looking to employ people

The first one needs some research on your part because different industries have different needs from contractors. If a contract or piece of work you take on falls INSIDE of IR35 then you get taxed as if you are an employee and will probably need the services of an umbrella company. If most of your work is going to be INSIDE then you might as well just use umbrella companies who will sort out all your tax affairs. If most of your work is going to be OUTSIDE then you will need an accountant and they will (should) guide you on tax/NI/VAT/insurance (public and employer liability)/IR35 compliance etc. There are even Umbrella companies who offer a hybrid service where you can switch between umbrella/accountant depending on the contract you have taken on.

It should be remembered that your daily rate for INSIDE work needs to be about 7 - 10% higher than for OUTSIDE work but generally after a while you won't care. The rate is good either way and you just take whatever comes along at whatever rate, sometimes good, sometimes not as good.

https://forums.contractoruk.com/ is a good place to read up on. My accountant is pretty good if you need a recommendation but they have no umbrella option. My current gig is INSIDE IR35 after 6yrs outside, so I had to choose an umbrella but you're not free to choose just anyone, there's usually a preferred supplier list from the end client and you need to research the options carefully, they're seemingly less regulated than accountants.

Sorry mate but while there is something in your post, and it’s clearly well meaning, it’s virtually unintelligible to a newcomer.

The OP has probably never heard of IR35 or umbrella companies so needs a gentler introduction.

Also you are wrong in implying a director only takes dividends. Directors normally take a salary plus (if the business justifies) dividends. The optimum salary is typically driven by prevailing tax thresholds, on which an accountant would readily advise.

I assume you aren‘t in the comms business.

If I were the OP, I’d prepare some sort of business plan and then seek an initial (free) consultation with an accountant. I’d back that up with some proper research online.

Last edited:
No more throwing in a sicky and deffo no strike action. You will be joining a band of workers leaving behind the can't be arsed, get someone else to do it, ah fuck it, it's Friday brigade.
You will go to meetings with a black eye if it means a no show would cost you £225.

Sorry mate but while there is something in your post, and it’s clearly well meaning, it’s virtually unintelligible to a newcomer.

The OP has probably never heard of IR35 or umbrella companies so needs a gentler introduction.

Also you are wrong in implying a director only takes dividends. Directors normally take a salary plus (if the business justifies) dividends. The optimum salary is typically driven by prevailing tax thresholds, on which an accountant would readily advise.

I assume you aren‘t in the comms business.

If I were the OP, I’d prepare some sort of business plan and then seek an initial (free) consultation with an accountant. I’d back that up with some proper research online.
Directors don’t always take a salary but as you say the nuances between how businesses work can be complex. At some point the OP has to know about IR35, how can I stress that IR35 is the most important thing to consider which route to take without mentioning IR35?

IR35!

Oh and if your dead lucky a yank poster will let you know where you are going wrong, tell you how to recruit staff, what to pay them and why your programs are shit, amongst other brilliantly insightful stuff that makes you wonder why you ever tried to just help fellow Blues.

Use an umbrella company at first, until you know what you are doing. They will make sure you pay what you should for a small fee.
You don’t know the OP’s circumstances, plans and outlook so this sort of “advice” is plain garbage.

If you disagree, don’t whinge but instead please elaborate on why this is his solutiion.

Last edited:
Oh and if your dead lucky a yank poster will let you know where you are going wrong, tell you how to recruit staff, what to pay them and why your programs are shit, amongst other brilliantly insightful stuff that makes you wonder why you ever tried to just help fellow Blues.
Don't make me tell you again'

One other quickie which I'm sure your dad will mention when you see him. On the off chance you are looking to refinance/do something on the mortgage front in the near term...unless it's changed it can be a bit of a pain to do this when your business is in its early stages and you don't yet have 2 or 3 years proof of a decent income stream. So factor in timing for any stuff like that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.