Golf around Manchester

Hi mate,

Some of the courses i've played include Stockport, fantastic course that used to hold open qualifying, Styal where i'm a member, Mottram Hall, in cheshire along with Shrigley Hall, nice and hilly!

And you can get buggies at the last two!

Cheers

Rick

Poyntonblue

There's still a bit of snobbery at Golf Clubs and drinking beer on some is banned. My local, Brookdale in Woodhouses, a stones throw from CoMS but still half decent scenery, won't allow it and I doubt it would be welcome at most other clubs.

Beer and golf is more for municiple courses. Council owned and pay as you play for about £10. I often play at Marland in Rochdale or there is a par 3 at Castle Hawk in Rochdale with a full size 9 hole course as well.

I would recomend Stockport, Wilmslow and Prestbury all quite expensive though. Portal is a good course too.
Mere is a good track although always in bad condition when I've played it
Mottram Hall is quite easy (well front nine anyway) again not always in great condition.
Shrigley hall get very wet so if it's been raining give it a miss.
Not played Knutsford think it's a 9 holer though?
I'm a member at a course called Heyrose in Knutsford fairly new course 20 years this year, it's a good track developing nicely, good greens and quiet in the week.

I can't see any of our parkland courses beating the US ones due to space, climate though

So although not in Manchester I would recomend Wallasey it's a links course about 40 mins from manchester.
It's a fantastic links course with loads of history it's where Stableford was invented.

chorlton is a good shout,cracking course.also like heaton moor and played chapel en le frith last week and although it was wet it has some fantastic holes and scenery. being a yank,go to reddish vale,a mackenzie course.the last hole was copied at augusta! but is one hell of a hill,they do buggies though. reddish vale is stockport way about 7/8 miles from manchester.

I play off 12 and the course I find the best in and around manchester :-

Heaton Park ( Park Course ). A really challenging course.

Regent Park ( Park Course ) in Bolton, this is a municipal course, and again, a really challenging course with some great approaches.

Southport Municipal ( Links ). Southport has an exceptional links course, the wind from the sea makes it a real challenge.

The nice thing with these courses is you don't need to be or have a member with you to play.

Oh just to throw a random one in Formby Hall in Formby. Excellent course, may be pricey but definately worth playing.

Cheers

If you want a great course, not to hard but still challenging and with great views/scenery you have to play at Mellor. Very friendly club with good facilities

IFeedGoats said:
I would recomend Stockport, Wilmslow and Prestbury all quite expensive though. Portal is a good course too.
Mere is a good track although always in bad condition when I've played it
Mottram Hall is quite easy (well front nine anyway) again not always in great condition.
Shrigley hall get very wet so if it's been raining give it a miss.
Not played Knutsford think it's a 9 holer though?
I'm a member at a course called Heyrose in Knutsford fairly new course 20 years this year, it's a good track developing nicely, good greens and quiet in the week.

I can't see any of our parkland courses beating the US ones due to space, climate though

So although not in Manchester I would recommend Wallasey it's a links course about 40 mins from manchester.
It's a fantastic links course with loads of history it's where Stableford was invented.

Portal is a fantastic course also Carden Park both located near Chester.

I Played Mere 2 weeks ago and i was in very good condition, also as mentioned a few times already Stockport is a great course as is Disley GC.

I am a member at Northenden GC which is worth a visit, the club spent 1 million on the USPGA standard greens last year and the course is in fantastic condition.

If you can i would highly recommend Conway GC (north Wales) 1hr 45mins from Manchester, Links course and a true test of Golf.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.