Good bands but with a small audience

The slow readers club ,to me Manchesters finest band ,should be playing to much bigger audiences.
I’m not familiar with their music but know of them. They are headlining Macclesfield Party in the Pews this summer, held in an old church and if recent years is anything to go by unlikely to draw a capacity crowd, whatever that might be. Badly Drawn Boy headlined last year to a half full venue

I saw My Computer at Band on the Wall with a crowd of about 5 people. It was me, my friend, two other guys, and the support act's singer.

My Computer were from Manchester and released a couple of brilliant, if ambitious, albums in the early 2000s that got rave reviews (9 out of 10 in the NME, 10 out of 10 on Uncut, Guardian/Observer loved them, they made loads of end of year lists), but didn't sell.

Not sure how much they played live at the time, but a few years after they split up, they announced a one off gig at Band on the Wall. It turned out to just be the singer, Andrew Chester. but he has the most amazing voice, so I was still thrilled to see them. Bizarrely, they had to change the publicity for the gig in the run up, to make it clear it wasn't the full band (and this may have been my fault, as my wife mentioned to a colleague that I was going to this gig, and said colleague turned out to the partner of the other band member!).

The gig was pretty much sold out, and the support (I forget who they were), got a fantastic response.

Sadly, it turned out the support were also local, and had quite the following, and most people had turned up to see them. Not one of their fans stayed around after to watch the headline act.

To be fair, the gig sounded amazing.

Going to give these a listen. I like being late to parties, especially ones that nobody else went to.

Will let you know if I think they deserved a bigger audience. Not that it matters what I think…

The Bunnymen. Most gigs are a couple of thousand. That is what the size should be. Stadiums are wank.
As a fan I prefer smaller venues couple of thousand is okay, just about perfect, but ask any band they’d rather be playing bigger venues, and making decent money, maybe not stadiums.

Saw The Coral at this gig in Barcelona few years back. Venue was so small they had to walk through the audience to get on stage

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.