Good City Player autobiographies

If you've read Lakey's then your onto a loser after that as its a great book full stop never mind a great book about a city player.
Away from football the Marcus Trescothick book is well worth a read. Very similar to the Paul Lake one in terms of the depression side of things.

Joe Royle - The Autobiography is available in The Works discount bookshops for £2.99.

It's more about his time as manager and as long as you can stomach his trying to justify taking the club to court when sacked it is quite an interesting read.

(and ignore the fact that Cur B.Face writes the foreword !!)

Eric Nixon's and Huckerby's are both good reads. Morrison's was better than lakey's as well IMO and definitely one of the most eye opening books I've ever read. Robert Enke's book is about the best biog I've ever read and highly recommended if you're not just bothered about city related ones.

Ed68 said:
I read Paul Lakes when I was away last year and have to say it blew me away.

I'm hoping to take a few away with me next week however think it will be hard to get anywhere near as good.

I already have Bert T's and am looking to buy Andy M's too. Are there any other decent ones? Is Mike D's any good?

Oh, I've previously read Buzzer's and the Goats.

Mike Doyle, you must read this Autobio.

Ken Barnes book, written by Jimmy Wagg
Just makes you realise how football was a completely different world back then.
Imagine Rooney and co having to take a break in football to do national service!

Loved the bit when he was Chief Scout at City and Swales came down to tell him he was spending too much on tea / sugar and milk when entertaining parents of kids he was trying to get to sign for City.
He sent Swales packing, asking how much does Swales spend on free drinks at the bar, entertaining people that will bring nothing to the club......

The back cover is a picture of Barnes swigging Champagne out of the FA Cup, with a cig in one hand!

book2.jpg

As others have said, Morrison's is excellent. Just finished it. Thought I'd be disappointed after reading Lakes but I wasn't.

Bluemoon dan said:
If you've read Lakey's then your onto a loser after that as its a great book full stop never mind a great book about a city player.
Away from football the Marcus Trescothick book is well worth a read. Very similar to the Paul Lake one in terms of the depression side of things.

Non City. Along the same lines is Robert Enkes' Autobiography, A Life Too Short. Suffered from severe depression and took his own life 2 years ago when at the peak of his career. An eye opening read and I thoroughly recommend it.

bluesteve1964 said:
Non City. Along the same lines is Robert Enkes' Autobiography, A Life Too Short. Suffered from severe depression and took his own life 2 years ago when at the peak of his career. An eye opening read and I thoroughly recommend it.

+1

recently beat Lakey for sports book of the year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.