Good City Player autobiographies

26 pages of Tony Coton’s to go. He really should’ve advertised as half his autobiography, half Alex Ferguson’s biography.

“Then the boss shouted at someone who deserved it. The boss was always right. Then the boss said I was doing a good job training the keepers and when Sir Alex says that, you listen. The boss showed his faith in me and when we won the treble, I was so proud. That’s the thing about Sir Alex, such an all round good guy.”

He even claims that when Bacon Face kicked the boot at Beckham, it flew over his head and hit the wall but a lace caught him on the way past.

I’ve lost quite a bit of respect for him after this brown nosing book.

Recently I read The Mixer: The History of Premier League Tactic from Route One to False Nines by Michael Cox. It reviews tactics used on a season by season basis showing how rule changes, such as the backpass rule, changed the game.
Liverpool havent won the league from the season the back pass rule was introduced.
They were the masters of killing a game off the final 10 mins when leading by a goal....
Hughes to Clemance, to Neal, to Clemance, to Kennedy, to Clemance, to Smith, to Clemance, to Neal, to Clemance..... Continue until the final whistle

Just finished Paul Walsh's autobiography. Comes across as a likeable guy but maybe did not make the most of his talent.

His description of Liverpool's antiquated methods of managing player fitness and injuries was interesting. They mis-diagnosed issues numerous times and spent weeks treating him with a machine that was broken. He did not rate Daglish as a manager and seemed disappointed by his time there.

His time at City he was positive about, particularly about Uwe and Horton who had been his captain at Luton. He did not rate Gio (not effective enough for the sacrifices made to have him in the team) or Ball who had been one of his heroes growing up. He admits he did push for the move back to Portsmouth and seems not to have rated Creaney as a player or person.

Worth a read at the bargain price Amazon are selling it for (on Kindle).

QbCLggWs.jpg

Bert kindly signed my book for me.

I have read Neil Young's "Catch a falling star"......now I was a huge fan of Nellies, and I know and understand he went through a rough time with depression in later life, but I didn't enjoy his book, a lot of it was filled with bitterness that he never got the testimonial game he says he was promised, but he did acknowledge that many people put in a lot of work raising money for him with sportsman's nights in pubs etc. He was a great servant for City, but several of the other '68 team didn't get testimonials either. Of course players were not on £100,000pw in those days.

I enjoyed Buzzers, highly recommended.

Colin's was a decent read, obviously never really liked being in the spotlight.

Just finished Paul Walsh's autobiography. Comes across as a likeable guy but maybe did not make the most of his talent.

His description of Liverpool's antiquated methods of managing player fitness and injuries was interesting. They mis-diagnosed issues numerous times and spent weeks treating him with a machine that was broken. He did not rate Daglish as a manager and seemed disappointed by his time there.

His time at City he was positive about, particularly about Uwe and Horton who had been his captain at Luton. He did not rate Gio (not effective enough for the sacrifices made to have him in the team) or Ball who had been one of his heroes growing up. He admits he did push for the move back to Portsmouth and seems not to have rated Creaney as a player or person.

Worth a read at the bargain price Amazon are selling it for (on Kindle).

Strange he talked about Gio as Walshy left pretty much as Kinky arrived. Was gutted when Walsh left us as I thought he was class and gave everything. Very much doubt we’d have been relegated that season had Ball not done such a shocking swap!

It would have been better to keep Walsh rather than swap him for Creaney but he only managed 21 games for Portsmouth before having to retire with a cruciate ligament injury. It might not have happened if he had stayed but in the book he does say he was finding playing harder as he aged.

It would have been better to keep Walsh rather than swap him for Creaney but he only managed 21 games for Portsmouth before having to retire with a cruciate ligament injury. It might not have happened if he had stayed but in the book he does say he was finding playing harder as he aged.

Yeah I always thought that injury probably wouldn’t have happened but I suppose we’ll never know. His fitness seemed brilliant for his age with us but maybe he was starting to feel it more after games by then.

QbCLggWs.jpg

Bert kindly signed my book for me.

I have read Neil Young's "Catch a falling star"......now I was a huge fan of Nellies, and I know and understand he went through a rough time with depression in later life, but I didn't enjoy his book, a lot of it was filled with bitterness that he never got the testimonial game he says he was promised, but he did acknowledge that many people put in a lot of work raising money for him with sportsman's nights in pubs etc. He was a great servant for City, but several of the other '68 team didn't get testimonials either. Of course players were not on £100,000pw in those days.

I enjoyed Buzzers, highly recommended.

Colin's was a decent read, obviously never really liked being in the spotlight.
The 68 team members who played for more than a decade all had a testimonial (I think)
Corrigan (i know he was 69), Doyle & Booth

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.