Grammar Lesson - please read & contribute.

Bad spelling can be lethal. For example, the greedy Seriph of Al-Yabi was cursed by a badly-educated deity and for some days everything he touched turned to Glod, which happened to be the name of a small dwarf from a mountain community hundreds of miles away who found himself magically dragged to the kingdom and relentlessly duplicated. Some two thousand Glods later the spell wore off. These days, the people of Al-Yabi are renowned for being remarkably short and bad-tempered.

Dogtanian said:
Thread been done a million times before..yawn.

It has, so the problem isn't that people don't know where an apostrophe goes or the their, there and they're and when to use them but maybe they just care about the correct usage?

To be honest I don't use text speak and discourage anyone who texts me it just puts me off but I am partial to the occasional lol :)

BlueBearBoots said:
Dogtanian said:

It has, so the problem isn't that people don't know where an apostrophe goes or the their, there and they're and when to use them but maybe they just care about the correct usage?
Perhaps they'd best fuck off to a hockey forum then:) Pretentious twats.

BlueBearBoots said:
Dogtanian said:

To be honest I don't use text speak and discourage anyone who texts me it just puts me off but I am partial to the occasional lol :)
"Occasional"?

jimharri said:
BlueBearBoots said:
Dogtanian said:

"Occasional"?

Lol

:)

Re: Grammar Lesson - please read & contribute.

Eli Panic said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Eli Panic said:
An apostrophe after an acronym in the plural is considered acceptable as long as it's not misleading.

Sorry, I didn't know that. No offence meant.

But only if the apostrophe is used to show the genitive of said acronym, or ellipsis of is/has. But never as a plural.

Re: Grammar Lesson - please read & contribute.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Eli Panic said:
An apostrophe after an acronym in the plural is considered acceptable as long as it's not misleading.
CV isn't an acronym, it's an initialization. To be an acronym the initials have to make a word in its own right, e.g. RADAR (which becomes a noun). Nouns shouldn't have a plural apostrophe. I ate two cake's is wrong, and not because I'm on a diet.

Nouns never have a possessive apostrophe either - and you would never write sentences that make it look like they should have, e.g. " I used the doors knocker" should be "I used the knocker on the door" or simply "I used the knocker" if the context makes it obvious there is a door involved.

Dakeb said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Eli Panic said:
CV isn't an acronym, it's an initialization. To be an acronym the initials have to make a word in its own right, e.g. RADAR (which becomes a noun). Nouns shouldn't have a plural apostrophe. I ate two cake's is wrong, and not because I'm on a diet.

Nouns never have a possessive apostrophe either - and you would never write sentences that make it look like they should have, e.g. " I used the doors knocker" should be "I used the knocker on the door" or simply "I used the knocker" if the context makes it obvious there is a door involved.
All possessive apostrophes are used on nouns. How could something be the possession of something that isn't a noun? The girl's bag. Girl is a noun and the noun possesses he bag so needs the apostrophe.

It's DEFINITELY not definately ffs!!

And you BORROW something off someone, not lend......

If anyone spells definitely wrong again on here, I'm definitely going to blow a gasket.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.