Grammar Lesson - please read & contribute.

everythingchangesbutblue said:
Sergi0 Na5r1 said:
I tell you whats more annoying on BM than bad grammar, the same posters ramming a shit joke into the ground in an attempt to be funny. Honestly i may be a miserable fucker but i don't know what the mods do. 99% of threads go the same way, do more than 20/30 posters even post in the cellar anymore? Honestly its gone to shit over the last 12 months, theres even hardly any pics of women anymore.

It's all about the politics now. There's a couple posters that just post news stories like pretend journos.
I know but worse than that theres a few posters who just start threads to get a rise off of few other posters.
True

I tell you whats more annoying on BM than bad grammar, the same posters ramming a shit joke into the ground in an attempt to be funny. Honestly i may be a miserable fucker but i don't know what the mods do. 99% of threads go the same way, do more than 20/30 posters even post in the cellar anymore? Honestly its gone to shit over the last 12 months, theres even hardly any pics of women anymore.

Why don't you start a thread about it so we can discuss it?

routenplanerneupa_D_233509p.jpg

117 M34 said:

Why don't you start a thread about it so we can discuss it?
I'm scared i might misspell part of the thread title, i don't even know if i misspelled misspell.

Re: Grammar Lesson - please read & contribute.

117 M34 said:
Dakeb said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
An apostrophe after an acronym in the plural is considered acceptable as long as it's not misleading.
CV isn't an acronym, it's an initialization. To be an acronym the initials have to make a word in its own right, e.g. RADAR (which becomes a noun). Nouns shouldn't have a plural apostrophe. I ate two cake's is wrong, and not because I'm on a diet.

Nouns never have a possessive apostrophe either - and you would never write sentences that make it look like they should have, e.g. " I used the doors knocker" should be "I used the knocker on the door" or simply "I used the knocker" if the context makes it obvious there is a door involved.
All possessive apostrophes are used on nouns. How could something be the possession of something that isn't a noun? The girl's bag. Girl is a noun and the noun possesses he bag so needs the apostrophe.
It's non-preferred unless the noun represents a living entity. A girl's bag is okay, as a girl is a person so can possess. "The car's headlights" is non-preferred in favour of "the headlights of the car" as the car is an inanimate object.

Grammar is a minefield that even experts sometimes disagree on.

Re: Grammar Lesson - please read & contribute.

It's not surprising many posters on football forums have appalling grammar. The radio and television experts on football that fans listen to are usually ex-players who can't speak properly. Especially the Scots in broadcasting who say things like "I should of went".

Dear John:
I want a man who knows what love is all about. You are generous, kind, thoughtful. People who are not like you admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me for other men. I yearn for you. I have no feelings whatsoever when we're apart. I can be forever happy - will you let me be yours?
Gloria

Dear John:
I want a man who knows what love is. All about you are generous, kind, thoughtful people, who are not like you. Admit to being useless and inferior. You have ruined me. For other men, I yearn. For you, I have no feelings whatsoever. When we're apart, I can be forever happy. Will you let me be?
Yours,
Gloria

Why grammar matters!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.