Greatest Films of Their Genres

Gangster - The Godfather

Horror - Ghost Story

SciFi - 2001 A Space Odyssey

Comedy - Some like it Hot

Thriller - Mississippi Burning (is that a thriller?)

Western - The Unforgiven

War - Zulu

Comedy - Pink Flamingos
Just checked to see if there was a Wiki entry for this selection of mine which was a bit of a random choice. Only seen it the once about 40 years ago. Loads of people walked out.

Turns out that there is. This extract from it is worth quoting:

'Displaying the tagline "An exercise in poor taste", Pink Flamingos is notorious for its "outrageousness", nudity, profanity, and "pursuit of frivolity, scatology, sensationology [sic] and skewed epistemology. It features a "number of increasingly revolting scenes" that center on exhibitionism, voyeurism, sodomy, masturbation, gluttony, vomiting, rape, incest, murder, cannibalism, castration, foot fetishism, and concludes, to the accompaniment of "How Much is That Doggy in the Window", with Divine's consumption of dog feces (coprophagia) — "The real thing!" narrator Waters assures us.'

For Musicals... Hello Dolly, Oliver, Mary Poppins, The Court Jester or Singing in the rain.

Last edited:
It’s fantastic. But it’s a story. Goodfellas stays with you, I’m sure in part because it’s grounded in reality. It’s haunting. It’s also scarier and funnier.

I liked the young Vito story in II best out of all the parts of The Godfather personally.
I'd agree Goodfellas is the more accessible, faster paced film. Admittedly you have to be in the mood for The Godfather; but so much about it is iconic.

The opening wedding sequence, Vito and the oranges, the restaurant scene with Michael, Sonny's murder. And of course, the horse's head. Legendary!

Probably the greatest anti-war film ever, otherwise it would have been at the top of of my War film nominations.
Marvellous film. It made me so angry watching the corruption at the top. I believe it was banned in France for years as it highlighted this corruption.

Two other fine anti-war films: All Quiet on the Western Front (Hitler banned this as it was bad for morale) and Oh What a Lovely War.

Drama - Schindler’s List
Horror - Aliens
Sci Fi - Dark City
Comedy - Young Frankenstein
Thriller - Fight Club
War - Saving private Ryan / the Dirty Dozen
Documentary - When we were Kings

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.