Greed

bluetoo

I've held this view for a very long time now and recent events have conspired to reinforce my belief.

We have nobody to blame but ourselves for the situation we find ourselves in. Our society demands greed be a part of our make up. The Ad men, successive governments, our willingness to be led towards the notion that material gain determines our worth, All of these things together have made the perfect storm for a disaster waiting to happen and were seeing it manifest itself.

The catastrophy of the recession that has blighted us all has been brought about by what we have allowed ourselves to be fed daily and for a very long time by an ever increasingly greedy brand of consumerism which has instilled in people that its their God given right to own what is promised to them on billboards and T.V.s 24/7 and all around the world without so much as an hour breaking sweat to deserve it.

People are looting plasma T.V's and designer goods from shops because thats what they have been promised. Its been instilled into their psyche that they deserve the same as the man who strives and works hard to provide such things. Consumerism makes no distinction between who works for their posessions and who doesnt. It holds it up like a shiny penny to a kid and who wouldnt take it?

Change the notion that we can all live on the never never and also the notion that material goods are the measure of success (and that those goods are attainable without any effort) and you will go a hell of a long way to rectifying a lot of societies ills.

bluetoo said:
I've held this view for a very long time now and recent events have conspired to reinforce my belief.

We have nobody to blame but ourselves for the situation we find ourselves in. Our society demands greed be a part of our make up. The Ad men, successive governments, our willingness to be led towards the notion that material gain determines our worth, All of these things together have made the perfect storm for a disaster waiting to happen and were seeing it manifest itself.

The catastrophy of the recession that has blighted us all has been brought about by what we have allowed ourselves to be fed daily and for a very long time by an ever increasingly greedy brand of consumerism which has instilled in people that its their God given right to own what is promised to them on billboards and T.V.s 24/7 and all around the world without so much as an hour breaking sweat to deserve it.

People are looting plasma T.V's and designer goods from shops because thats what they have been promised. Its been instilled into their psyche that they deserve the same as the man who strives and works hard to provide such things. Consumerism makes no distinction between who works for their posessions and who doesnt. It holds it up like a shiny penny to a kid and who wouldnt take it?

Change the notion that we can all live on the never never and also the notion that material goods are the measure of success (and that those goods are attainable without any effort) and you will go a hell of a long way to rectifying a lot of societies ills.

I agree with you on lots of points.... We feel better the more material possessions we own.. People discuss each other in a manor of what the other has achieved due to material wealth. Which in turns creates a jealous emotion installed within..

I myself fall down to this so many times... Wanting what i get told i should have, by putting on the tv, listening to the radio or just general food shopping...

You cant escape this world of 'consumerism' if it is such a word??

kp789 said:
The way you group "ourselves" makes it impossible to blame anyone else, of course it is someones fault
i say ourselves because as a whole our society allowed it to happen...in fact people actively encouraged it...people who were only too glad to be duped into debt they could never afford to get out of...in the US there was a spectacular crash when people realised that some day somehow it would have to be paid back...they made trillions of dollars worth of deals on the premise of believing they would never have to deal with it when it came to pay the piper.

bluetoo said:

Excellent post.

Don't expect much support from this lot though.

Revenge not justice is the slogan round these parts.

And it's no one's fault but the young, the jobless and the black.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.